Chapter 12

Eren's pov

I examine the place that Levi and his 'friends' took me to.

The walls are grey, the wallpaper is peeling off because of the damp. There's a small wooden table located at the back of the room and beside it there's a bookshelf, filled to the brim with different novels, all shape and size. The room is dimly lit with a candle which gives off a blunt, orange colour.

The taller, more bulky man goes over to the small window in the room as he signals for the other two men to leave and close the door behind them. Now, I can't see my own face, but if I could, I'd imagine it being stricken with shock and ridden with fear. I'm shaking as well, I can feel it, I'm not sure if it's because of the sudden draft that hit the back of my neck when the men opened the door, or if it's because I am genuinely terrified.

Levi drags me over to the table and pushes me down on a chair as he lowers down on the chair beside me. He crosses his legs and looks off into space. 

 I wonder what he's thinking....is he as scared as I am? Does he actually like me? Or was that just a set up to lure me into a false sense of security?

All these questions are making my head hurt, so I place my hand to my head and stare at the bookshelf, counting every single book then pinching my arm every few minutes to check if I'm dreaming.

But this is no dream.

Levi's pov

Poor kid, he looks petrified.

I steal a glance at the brat; Eren.

With one arm, he's clutching himself, cuddling himself as close as he can, with the other hand, he's holding his head. His beautiful, turquoise irises reflect the little light there is in this room, they are wide and shocked. His breathing is sharp and quick.

Fuck, I'd love to put my arm around him, but then Commander fucking eyebrows over there would consider me a traitor and that wouldn't go down lightly.

"Levi, come here" Erwin looks straight at me so I stand up and obey him immediately. 

"What is it Erwin?" I cross my arms over my chest and lean against the wall with one leg keeping me balanced.

"We need to decide what we'll do with him" 

"We?" I choke out "I thought you were taking over my task"

"hm, well it is a mystery on why you, Levi; our strongest member of the sweepers, hasn't been able to kill a measly little brat like HIM" He announces profoundly, sticking his chest out to make him look more intimidating. "perhaps, it's personal reasons....?"

"sir, I can assure that I can kill him, but he's fun to mess with" I shrug nonchalantly "how could anyone like a piece of shit like him?"

"Good point Levi" He smirks and nudges my arm. I hate his smirk, it makes him look all smug and full of himself.

I hate that. 

Eren's pov

I look over at Levi and Erwin (that's what Levi calls him at least).

They're talking about me, although they're talking quietly, every word is as clear as crystal.

They seem to like calling me names, things like;

"A brat like HIM" and "a piece of shit" Jeez, FUCKING THANKS!! I LOVE YOU TOO!!

A few minutes later, Erwin disappears through a door to the side. I didn't notice that detail, not until now that is. Levi comes over to me and kneels beside me, his stone grey eyes trying their very hardest to be sympathetic.

"hey, are you okay?" his rough voice does not suit this part of his personality, I can tell you that.

I glare back at him, the fact that I do this so suddenly, makes him jump ever so slightly. "Why would you care?!" I spit spitefully. He thinks he can talk about me like that and bring me here and now he's just trying to be nice?? That is NOT how it works in my book.

He gets up and raises the palm of his hand, before slamming it onto my cheek harshly. "Do NOT talk to me like that" I hold my cheek with my hand, tears begin to form in the corner of my eyes, but I disguise them by covering my face with my hair as I look down. "I knew you didn't actually care about me..." 

He kneels down on one leg and hold my face in one of his hands. "I-I'm sorry" His words felt like a knife was being driven through my chest. I look into his eyes softly and smile gently. I don't answer though, there's nothing to say, or nothing I can think of to say.

Levi's pov

I hold Eren's face in my hand. The cheek I slapped was a bright red, it looked really painful, but the kid didn't even seem to notice. "I-I-Love y--"I am unable to finish as the door opens suddenly, making me jolt backwards.

"Levi!? What the fuck do you think you are doing?!" Erwin storms over to me and snatches me by the back of my shirt. "Get off you piece of shit!!" He throws me against the wall and glares at me, holding my neck in his much larger hands with a tight grip. "Why would you DO THAT!!" I grab hold of his arms. "E-erwin--" He tightens his grip after hearing me gasp out his name  "He's supposed to be our target!!" He glares at me in fury and disgust. "....wait, you do like him don't you?" He smiles deviously, a smile that tells me that he's up to something.

"No!! I-i don't!!" I half yell, half gasp back at him. "so..." he lets go of me and I collapse to the ground clutching my neck. I look up and focus my weary eyes to see what Erwin's doing. I see him going over to Eren and taking him by his arms to be in front of me. "You wouldn't mind if I played with him a little bit?"