Chapter 14

#WIAE Chapter 14

I wanted to know what they were talking about, but they spoke nothing about that after. Like it was an unspoken rule. And I didn't have the guts to ask him about it. Everything about AdM was still a big puzzle to me. I was trying to survive everyday but still, it didn't feel like home. I was forced to watch for my back every single time, because if I didn't, I might just drop dead one day.

"Why are you here? I told you I'll come get you," Avo said upon seeing me outside the admin building.

Smiling to hide my guilt for listening to their conversation, I said, "Ah... maaga akong natapos. Okay na ba 'yung pinag-usapan niyo?"

He nodded.

"Yeah. I just notified them about what happened outside."

"Kailangan 'yun?"

"Yes. Because depending on the gravity of the situation, the security in this school needs to adjust."

Tss. Para namang hindi safe sa school na 'to. Ilang beses ng may nangyari sa akin, pero wala pa ring nahuhuli. May cctv sa bawat sulok, pero kahit side profile nung nagkulong sa akin, hindi nakita. How do I entrust my safety in this school if I had seen death a couple of times already?

"Hindi ba safe dito?" I asked.

"It is... Why? Did something happen?"

Agad akong umiling. It was paramount that Avo knows nothing about what happened lately. He needed to be out of it.

"Wala. I'm just asking. If the security in this place is already impeccable, why do they need to tighten? Dapat 24/7, safe ang mga tao dito," I stated. If something happened, especially to the Dieux, hell would break loose... Though inside, people were already killing one another. Naalala ko na naman bigla iyong ginawa ni Night 'dun sa mga babae.

Avo nodded.

"I understand. But there's no harm in doubling the safety. After all, we're paying shitload of money, so it's expected that they won't mess anything up."

Ah, yes. I was still adjusting to the fact that in a day, I spend around twenty thousand just to survive. Dinaig pa nito ang first world country sa sobrang taas ng cost of living.

"Do you have enemies?"

He looked at me like he wasn't expecting that kind of question from me. As far as he was concerned, I was a Deuxième. Hindi naman siguro kasing dami ng kaaway nun ang mga kaaway ng mga Dieux na kagaya niya. And I wouldn't know because I wasn't really hands on with the family business. My parents put me as far as they possibly could to get me out of the reach of those who wanted to harm me.

"Yes, I have. Tons, actually."

"But you're still... young. I mean, how can you possibly have so many enemies?"

"You'll be surprised," he replied. "Come on, let's eat. I'm famished."

And that was the cue that I should stop asking. Pumunta kami ni Avo sa resto na pinaka-kaunti iyong tao. I was tired of all the stares. Kasalanan ko rin naman, in a way. I was already getting tons of attention because of Avo, tapos ngayon dinagdagan ko pa dahil sa ginawa ko kay Ella. They must be thinking that I had a death wish of some sort dahil nagawa ko iyon kay Ella.

While eating, Avo was looking at me weirdly.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"It's not nothing. Why are you staring?"

Umiling siya.

"Avo..." I said. Tumingin siya sa akin. "Can I ask for a favor?"