Chapter 28

#WIAE Chapter 28 (Second to the last)

I breathed hard before I dared enter the vicinity. I couldn't explain what I was feeling... it was a fusion of excitement and fear. Of rush and uncertainty. I didn't know what would happen to me... if anyone would suspect me of what I did. Or if they'd know... what I did... 

I walked straight inside as my ID gave away the fact that I attended this school, unfortunately. Diretso akong naglalakad, sa bawat hakbang ay iniisip ko kung alam ba nila ang mga ginawa ko. I didn't want to get caught, no I didn't want that, but a part of me wanted to be recognized for what I did. I was a hypocrite no more. I proved to be more than that.

Hindi ko alam kung paano ko nagawang maglakad nang diretso hanggang sa bahay. I just walked and walked, not minding a single soul. I had been afraid of the darkness since the incident, and for the first time in weeks, I was again able to walk alone. Without fear.

One enemy down.

Hindi ko alam kung ilan pa ang natitira, but I'd hunt them down. I didn't care for what Night thought of me. I didn't care if he thought I was reckless and impulsive. In the kind of life we lead, it's either kill or be killed. And getting killed wasn't an option. Not for me.

When I arrived at the house, Avo was there waiting for me.

"Where were you?" he asked.

I stared at him. He was clueless. He didn't know someone special died. This must be what power felt like.

"Out," I said. I began to play the lie Night orchestrated for the both of us. "I needed to think about us."

And then I smiled. Avo trusted me... not as much as I wanted him to, but enough for him not to think I was responsible for anything as horrible as I did. For him, I was still the same naive girl that I was when I first arrived here.

"And were you able to think?" Avo said, and I nodded. He smiled. 

"I'm hungry," I replied. Avo held me by my waist as we made way to the kitchen.

It was already dawn when I came back. The chef was already out but I was starving. What I did with Night drained my energy and I needed to replenish that. I knew more was about to come... No secret remains a secret. A day would come when everything would be spilled. Including what happened today. And I should be prepared.

"You know how to cook?" I said in awe as Avo reached for the pan.

Avo shook his head.

"No. But how hard can it get?"

He went to the fridge and got chicken. He thawed it, and while we were waiting for the chicken to soften, he sat beside me. He held my hand and played with it while asking me questions.

"When do you want to practice?" he asked.

"Ha?"

"For your finals. Because I don't want Ella to hurt you again."

Bigla kong naagaw sa kanya iyong kamay ko nung binanggit niya iyong pangalan ni Ella. Agad naman na kumunot ang noo niya.

"Why? Did I say something wrong?" he asked, worried.

I shook my head. I tried to act cool. My face shouldn't give away anything that happened tonight. It was my secret. It was our secret.

"Nothing..." I replied. "Maybe I'm just really hungry."

"What did you do outside for you to become that hungry?" he asked.

I pursed my lips and remained unfazed.