Chapter 23

#WIAE Chapter 23

I didn't even bother to pep talk myself when I braved Avo's room. I just barged in there, not knowing what could happen next. I knew myself. If I overthink this, I'd just end up making excuses for myself. And I was done making excuses. Everything around me just kept on pointing at Avo. That it was him who was the real center of the game, and not me.

Agad siyang napalingon sa akin nung marinig niya ang pagbukas ng pinto.

"What—"

Hindi niya naituloy ang sasabihin. I cut him off. I needed to tell him this before I change my mind. Kailangan kong maisagawa ang plano ko bago na naman ako panghinaan ng loob... Because as much as I hated Avo for lying to me over and over again, I still couldn't change the fact that he knew things I wanted to know. And for that reason alone, I needed him.

I looked at him and willed myself to cry.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I'm sorry I broke up with you."

As tears began to cascade down my face, I knew that I got him. Even after lying to me, when he said that he genuinely cared for me, maybe he was telling the truth. Kitang-kita ko na apektado siya sa pag-iyak ko. Kahit hindi ko man mabasa si Avo, ngayon ay alam ko ang nararamdaman niya... And I shall use that to my advantage.

"I'm sorry, Avo..."

I kept on sobbing and crying. Avo stood in front of me. I could see the walls breaking.

"I was just really hurt... and I did that to protect myself. Kasi paano kung si Ella talaga ang gusto mo? Paano ako?" I explained in between sobs. Halos hindi na ako maka-hinga dahil sa pag-iyak na ginagawa ko. Hindi ako tumigil sa pag-iyak. I didn't care if I couldn't breathe. I needed to break that wall that I built when I broke up with him. I needed to climb that wall, if I couldn't break it. That's the only way around this.

Nilapitan ko si Avo. I caressed his face.

"I'm sorry..." I whispered.

He was just staring at me. I cried harder. I needed his forgiveness. I needed him to let me inside his life again.

"Stop crying," he said after a long time. Tinignan ko siya habang panay pa rin ang tulo ng luha ko. I didn't know that I could cry this hard... And I didn't know that I could use this card against him.

"Are we... okay?"

Slowly, he nodded.

"Talaga?"

He sighed.

"Yes," he replied. "So, please stop crying." Pinunasan ko iyong luha ko pero patuloy pa rin siya sa pagtulo. Avo sighed. "Please... I don't like to see you cry."

Medyo natawa ako sa sinabi niya.

"It's not like I can will myself to stop crying. Sandali lang, mauubos din 'to," I said.

Tumayo si Avo at lumapit sa mini-ref niya. He got a bottled water and gave it to me.

"Thank you," I said and smiled. I tried to open the bottle, but for some unexplainable reasons, I couldn't. Baka isipin niya na masyado na akong umaarte para mapansin niya ako. Sinubukan ko talaga na buksan iyong tubig pero ayaw magpabukas! What the heck was with that bottle?! Bakit ayaw magpa-bukas?! "Thanks," I replied when he got the cursed bottle from my hands and opened it in one try.

"How do you survive in this world if you can't even open a damned bottle?" he said, shaking his head.

I smiled.