Chapter Eighteen

Lily woke the next day bright and early, far before breakfast started. She quickly changed into her uniform and snuck her way out of her dorm and through the common room, out the portrait hole. She walked down the changing staircases and made her way outside into one of the last summer mornings. She walked her way over to the Black Lake, towards the tree where she met Eve for the second time.

She sat contently with her back against the tree as she watched the sun slowly rise over the Scottish mountains. Water and sky alike lit up with the colors from the sunrise and her emerald eyes stared in awe at the light show.

Her viewing was interrupted by a small voice coming from above her, "Who are you?"

Lily looked up into three with a frown, and was met with the face of a small man. Not just short, but tiny. Ten inches tiny.

"Hello, I'm Lily," she introduced herself to the curly haired Fae with a friendly smile, "What's your name?"

"Emitt," he introduced himself.

"Lovely to meet you, Emitt," Lily said kindly before realization made its way onto her face, "Are you, by chance, a friend of Eve's?"

"Yes," he nodded, "She's here now."

"Really?" Lily asked, "Like, with you?" She asked getting red in the face.

"No, no," Emitt shook his head fastly, his face too turning a red that rivaled Lily's hair, "She was just spending the night, hoping to see her friend Flower."

"Is she awake?" Lily asked curiously, trying to peek into the small, barely noticeably door in the tree.

"Just barely," Emitt told her, "Eve, someone's here to see you!"

It was quiet for a moment, but soon a disheveled Eve came flying out of Emitt's home. The Faery looked extremely tired and groggy, but as soon as she noticed Lily she shot awake.

"Flower!" Eve shouted happily, quickly transforming mid-flight and trapping the witch in a bear hug.

"Hello, Eve," Lily said happily, returning the blonde's hug. They probably would have hugged for eternity if Emitt didn't remind them of his presence with his cough. The two pulled away from each other embarrassed, and Emitt sent them a smirk.

"I'm be inside," he said before flying back into his house and closing the door behind him.

Eve and Lily immediately made their way down the bank of the Black Lake, "So how was the rest of your summer, besides the argument with your sister?" Eve asked breaking the silence.

"It was nice, I suppose," Lily said, "Petunia left for courses in London soon after our argument, and Severus tried to talk to me in my sanctuary."

"Your sanctuary?" Eve asked curiously.

"It's this giant tree not too far from my house," Lily explained with child-like excitement, "It blooms the most beautiful pink flowers too. It's sanctuary."

"Sounds incredible," Eve said, "You know, I actually found the most interesting thing during the summer."

The two stopped and sat on the ground as Eve told her about the tree, "And it had the most interesting runes on it."

"Someone carved into the tree?" Lily asked.

"No, that's the interesting bit," Eve told her, "The runes are almost like tattoos. Millions and millions of runes cover that one oak tree in the middle of the Forbidden Forest, and they're just there. Tattooed onto the tree for eternity."

"Now it's starting to sound like a ghost story," Lily laughed causing Eve to let out a snort.

"I suppose that's true," Eve nodded, "Faery's tell the scariest and most magical stories."

"Really?" Lily asked leaning forward in anticipation, "Can I hear one?"

"I can't remember any off the top of my head, but I have a couple of books filled with them," Eve told her, "I can bring you some."

"Sure, when?" Lily asked.

"I'll give them to you....."