11

After another captivating class with Mr. Keating, he assigns us our first project; to create a piece of poetry, entirely our own.

I was rather excited for the task at hand, although poor Todd seemed like he would do just about anything else.

"Hey Vi!" Neil says, once catching up to me in the hall, causing me to smile at the nickname which reminds me of home.

"Hi Neil." I politely respond, but knowing where this is heading, begin to pick up my pace as much as possible- a futile attempt to flee from Neil's presence.

"Um I was wondering if we could talk...privately?" He asks, referring to the many students passing us in the busy hall.

I nod reluctantly, before following Neil out of the hectic hallway, to my favourite spot under the large willow tree.

"I love this place, I come here all the time." I say, sitting down with my back pressed against the wide trunk of the tree.

"I come here too, I find it's...calming. It relaxes me." Neil admits, cheeks slightly turning a light shade of red at his confession.

"Apple?" Neil asks, changing the subject- something I've noticed he does whenever a conversation leads to his life- nonetheless, I reach out my hand and accept, giggling at the rather random gesture.

"Thanks" I chuckle, to which Neil sends me a warm smile.

"So, what was it you wanted to talk to me about?" I ask, knowing full well where this was going, but wanting Neil to say it himself.

"Well... I was wondering if you thought about what I had said ugh the other night...after you know, our first meeting..." Neil questions nervously, to which I slowly nod my head, thinking of my response.

"Violet?" Neil asks cautiously and I quickly snap my head in his direction, returning my gaze to him, realizing I hadn't yet answered his previous question.

"Oh ugh sorry...I was just thinking..." I trail off slowly.

"It's okay, take your time, it's just... Charlie, he seems a little...distant recently, that's really the only reason I'm bothering you." Neil begins, and his face contorts as if he's just had some kind idealization or epiphany, before continuing.

"I really shouldn't be bothering you with this, it's none of my business really..." He says, before quickly raising to his feet, gathering his stuff in a hurry.

"No! It's fine really! You're a good friend Neil..." I say, placing a gentle and comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Thanks." He smiles. "You know, you are too, Violet." Neil finishes, before throwing his book bag over his shoulder and sauntering back into the school, leaving me with nothing but my thoughts to keep me company...

What does he mean by distant? I thought aloud...

"-Who's distant?" A sudden voice can be heard from behind me, startling me with its presence.

As I slowly turn around, I see none other than Charlie...