17

I glance over at Charlie, who doesn't seem to notice the exchange that just took place.

Either that or he hides it well.

By nature, Charlie has a rather flirty personality. So, naturally, I doubt he recognizes when people reciprocate.

Although, she couldn't have been flirting...

Lucy is the closest thing I've ever had to a sister, there is no way she'd blatantly flirt with my boyfriend and right in front of me.

Or at least I hoped she wouldn't.

"Vi? Are you okay?" Charlie questions, his tone laced with concern, his eyes quickly darting across my face.

"Umyeah, I'm fine," I answer quickly. In all honestly I didn't trusted the strength of my own voice in this very moment.

Charlie stares at me intently— seemingly unconvinced— but he doesn't investigate any further. 

~~~

Later that night, I lay anxiously in bed. After having ditched my final class, I came to the conclusion that I over analyzed the situation. With such a vivid imagination, comes many faults. Over thinking, unfortunately, is one of them.

I swing my legs over the bed, glancing at the clock.

9:55 PM

I groan, as my bare feet hit the cool hardwood. Grabbing my coat, I quietly make my way down the eerily dark halls, towards the exit.

I wrap my coat tighter around my frame, as the cool evening air engulfs me. The autumn breeze tonight was especially frigid, it's cold air pricking my skin like tiny needles.

The sky was dark, with the only light coming from the orange glow of the street lamps scattered across the courtyard. The stars lay behind the haze of thick, blackened clouds.

My eyes glance around the property. Suddenly, the familiar tall, athletic frame appears, followed by a sea of long, blonde locks.

Her bare legs peak through her knee-length trench coat. In her left hand, she holds a small, leather trunk.

"Hi," she greets, blowing warm air onto her free hand.

"How about we go inside?" I smile, taking her case, as she shoves both her hands deep inside her coat pockets.

We walk side by side, down the long corridors in silence, until we reach my room.

Once in my dorm, we spent the first few minutes trying to break the strange tension that hung above us, until eventually, we were talking and laughing about anything and everything. Though, unsurprisingly so, even our fast-paced chatting, neglected to cover our time apart.

At some point during our catch up, Lucy grabbed a nearby throw blanket sprawled across the edge of my bed. She tightly wrapped the soft material around her shoulders, shivering.

"If you want, I can sneak us down to the kitchen, we can make hot chocolate?" I offer.

"I would love that," she begins, before her expression changes into somber one. Against my better judgment, I might have concluded the look on her face was one of pure mischief.

I remember Lucy quite well, and two people could not be more polar opposites.

Lucy was loud and brash. She was mischievous, yet enthralling. A part of me— the sensible part— knew I would find very few commonalities with such a character, but there was just something about her...

The way she seemed to have so much fun, enticed me. Regardless of what she was doing.

I, on the other hand, didn't possess such a wild and adventurous side. I have a sense of humour, a great one in fact, only it requires a certain level of comfort for me to share it.

Perhaps, that's why we made for such good friends. We brought out traits in each other we failed to notice ourselves.

"It's just— I'm tired and the walk was rather far. I think I'd better stay here," Lucy finished.

My eyes scan her features for any indication that she may be joking. I hold my tongue for a brief second, expecting for her to burst into a fit of laughter, or to tell me she was only kidding.

It's not like Lucy, the self-appointed queen of mischief, to refuse an opportunity to sneak around.

"That's okay," I begin slowly, "I can get it. Besides, it would probably be quicker anyways," I conclude kindly, masking my disappointment— something I've become somewhat of an expert at over the years.

She smiles, nuzzling her face into the soft, ruby red blanket. My feed slip into my slippers, and I quickly and quietly make my way towards the kitchen.

I peer to the end of the hallway. I can see the dimly lit double doors leading towards my destination. It's a wonder they keep these unlocked. I suppose few students figure they're unlocked, so no one bothers sneaking down for a late night snack. Or perhaps, they just don't possess the same bravery Charlie does to tiptoe down here so frequently.

I quickly— and quietly— swing open the doors.

The whistle of the kettle signals me to grab two mugs. Ripping the package with my teeth, I pour the powder contents into the bottoms, followed by the steaming hot water.

I slowly make my way through the many halls, and back to my bedroom, careful not to spill the steaming contents on my hands.

The hallway is silent, all but the echo of my footsteps bouncing off the walls. I reach my door, knocking gently with my foot. I expect to here the stir of Lucy rushing over to let me in. Yet, the hall remains silent.

I hear a faint giggle sound from down the hall. I shuffle towards the noise, surprisingly leading me to Knox's room— whose wooden door had been left slightly ajar.

I peer into the opening. Knox, Neil and Todd sit side by side on his bed. Pitts and Meeks sit on the swivel desk chairs, while Lucy sits on the ground close— and dangerously close— to Charlie.

I swing open the door with only my foot.

My cheeks feel hot, as the redden, no doubt. Something that tends to happen when I'm overcome with sudden, bubbling anger.

Their heads quickly snap in my direction, as they all appear pleased to see me. However, in that moment, I can't quite describe it, maybe I was convincing myself otherwise, but Lucy appeared almost... too pleased.

A/n: hope you enjoyed the double update!! I really need to (force myself to) study now & this weekend 😓 so the next update might be just over a week or so! 💜💜