19

"Shit. Shit, shit, shit." Charlie cursed under his breath, intensely running his fingers through his, now disheveled, ashy brown hair.

He hated seeing Violet upset, even when he couldn't quite grasp why.

"Are you okay?" A voice spoke from behind him. Turning on his heel, he saw Lucy leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed over her chest.

"Shouldn't you be asking Vi?" Charlie asks irritatingly, as she pushes herself off the doorway, and saunters into his room.

"Hmm" she hums, "maybe, but I wanted to ask you."

She says the last part lowly, while twisting a strand of blonde hair around her finger.

"Well, I'm just peachy," Charlie huffs sarcastically, his face in between his hands, as he sits at the edge of his bed.

Lucy strides towards his slumped over position, kneeling in front of him.

"I have an idea!" She exclaims, pulling Charlie's hands from his face.

He looks up slowly, his eyes slightly red. He raises his eyebrows, nudging his head slightly forward, indicating for her to continue, to which Lucy's smile spreads even wider across her face.

"Okay, when I was upset I would always go to a spot to think. Like a treehouse or something, that no one knew about. We'll go and find a spot!"

Charlie's face fell, as he thought of Violet's 'spot'— right under the great oak tree and facing the stream.

"Well?" Lucy asks, distancing Charlie from his thoughts.

Truthfully, he wasn't sure. Lucy was Violet's closest friend, so naturally he wanted to become friends with her as well. But for some reason, unknown to him, it seemed to upset Violet the closer they became.

His eyes quickly dart around the room, as though he's searching for some sort of clue. Then, it hits him.

"There's a diner about five minutes up the street,"
he says trying to mask his sombre tone; as he remembers sneaking out with Violet, once they had exhausted Welton's kitchen options.

"Perfect!" Lucy beams, grabbing her coat, while Charlie leads them off the premise.

"Wait!" Lucy shouts suddenly, causing Charlie to turn on his heel.

"What?"

"I forgot my purse," she says to which Charlie groans.

"That's okay, I'll pay." He offers, and Lucy can't help the smile that plasters itself across her face, at the realization of what a gentleman Charlie is.

"That's very kind, but I'd rather have it on me," she insists.

"Okay, I'll wait here." Charlie says, to which Lucy smiles, spinning quickly on her heel and making her way back to the upper year dorms.

~

"Hey," Lucy says softly, slowly opening her friend's door.

"Your stuff is there," Violet spoke coldly, completely ignoring Lucy's greeting, and pointing towards the bags piled in the corner.

"Can we talk?" Lucy asks, her eyes darting to both Knox and Neil, who were both sat on the spare bed.

Neil looks at Violet, making sure it was okay to leave. She nods, and him and Knox exit the room, but not before giving Lucy rather displeased glares.

"I'm sorry, Vi," Lucy spoke, sitting on the now empty bed.

"I just wanted to get to know the boy who makes my best friend so happy," she laughs, and Violet can't help the smile that threatens to overcome her lips.

Lucy comes closer, sitting on the bed next to Violet.

"Will you please, please, pleaseee, forgive me?" Lucy asks, exaggerating the vowels in the last 'please.'

Violet appears to be thinking, until suddenly a genuine smile spreads across her her face.

"Of course," she answers, wrapping her arms around her friend.

"Hey, do you wanna sneak out later? I saw a diner a few blocks away," Lucy says eagerly.

"Yea, why not," Violet smiles eagerly.

"Okay, meet at the diner in let's say..." Lucy pauses briefly; "—a half hour."

~

"What took you so long?" Charlie asks annoyed, rubbing his hands together for warmth, once Lucy finally returned.

"I umm, had something to take care of," she smiles mischievously.

~

(Quick) A/N: I just found out that my story is # 1 for some dead poets society related tags 😱 I know it's not that great but it's exciting to me so thanks to everyone who has read & continues to read my story!!!! Love you all 💜💜💜