23

Charlie's POV

"Charlie?"

I raise my head slowly from my hands, quickly wiping the stray tears from my eyes, and humming in response.

Knox stood in front of me, with a large cup of coffee in his hand.

"Figured you'd need some." He says gently, placing the cup on the table in front of me and taking a seat on the empty chair beside me.

I didn't know who to call when we got to the hospital. I didn't know the number for Violet's parents, so I called Welton pretending to be Knox' father.

I told them it was urgent, so they woke him and brought him to the phone.

I told him everything.

Lucy, the kiss, and the accident...

He came over with Neil, Todd, and Meeks as soon as he hung up the phone.

"She'll be fine." Todd spoke for the first time since he arrived at the hospital. He sat on the floor in front of us, with his back against the wall and his knees brought up to his chest.

Although, he seemed to be convincing himself more than anyone.

"Todd's right," Neil began, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"This is all my fault." I managed to choke out, breaking the silence.

"Don't say that." Meeks scolded, standing from his previous sitting position next to Todd.

"It is. I went with Lucy when I should have gone to Violet. I-I-she kissed me and-"

My nervous rambling was cut off by Neil placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"She'll be okay. Luckily, the doctors said her injuries didn't seem too serious. A minor surgery and she'll be out soon."

I grimaced at the word. A pang of guilt hit my chest, but I slowly nodded to appease Neil and the rest.

After a few more agonizing hours of waiting, a doctor stood in front of us, clearing his throat before he began.

"You're Ms. Ross' friends?" He questioned, glancing at the clipboard which he held in his hands.

I nod quickly, not trusting my own voice in the moment.

"Well, she's going to be just fine." He begins, and I let out a deep breath, I hadn't even realized I had been holding in.

"-She has fractured ribs and some lacerations, but she will be fine. We can release her tomorrow morning."

The boys and I smile widely at the news, as the doctor turns on his heel to walk away.

I knock softly on the door before slowly pushing it open.

"Vi.." I say gently. My stomach falls at her bruised arms and stitched up forehead.

"I'm so sorry." I mutter, just barely above a whisper, as I take a seat on the vacant chair beside her bed.

Her gaze adverts mine. She looks down at her hands, circling her thumbs one around the other- something I know she does when she wants to distance herself from a situation.

I open my mouth to speak but her low and groggy voice halts me.

"Just-please leave." She pleads, causing my stomach to sink even lower.

She seems hesitant, so my feet remain rooted in place.

"Charlie-" She begs.

I give her an uncertain look, practically pleading with my eyes for her to change her mind. Frankly we didn't even have to speak. I simply wanted to bask in her company, just knowing she was okay was enough to lift the frown that currently sat on my face. But I realized I was being selfish. Glancing down at her broken frame, her head hung in attempt to avert my gaze, I knew she just needed some time and space.

I turn on my heel and leave the room.

A/n: sooo I know the past few chapters have been sad BUT don't worry!!! I'll make sure the next chapters have lots of fluff!!! 😊