22

Charlie's POV

~

"Why the hell would you do that!" I screamed at Lucy, as Violet ran out of the diner and into the streets.

Not waiting for her response, or even grabbing my jacket, I run after her.

"Violet!" I yell, while attempting to quicken my speed.

Her pace is fast and she's quite a few feet ahead of me.

I loudly shout her name one last time, hearing it echo in the emptiness of the narrow street, before halting for a brief moment to catch my breath.

My head spins and I feel as though something heavy sits atop my heart. Feelings of guilt and shame quickly wash over me, as I recall the flash of hurt that overcame Violet's face at the diner.

I remember the first night we snuck out together. I knocked softly on her door, careful not to wake the nearby rooms. I could hear her gentle footsteps as she slowly shuffled towards the door. I can still remember her face: her features both lethargic and intrigued. I remember my stomach being filled with butterflies as she agreed to my absurd idea, nodding while rubbing the sleep from her eyes. My heart instantly leapt at how cute she was.

She was easily the most beautiful girl I had ever had the pleasure of laying my eyes on. We sat at the back booth, which quickly became our booth, as we chatted over a plate of shared french fries for hours. I realized the beauty that shone from the outside, was no match for how beautiful she was inside. Her quick wit to all my sarcastic remarks, how she'd laugh at my corny jokes-even when they probably weren't that funny, and above all her kindness.

But now, the diner that had once been my favourite place, held memories I'd rather not keep. And the mere thought that I might have lost the one thing I loved the most- without even having ever told her, caused a great amount of pain to consume me.

I can faintly see Violet crouched over on the street, seemingly also attempting to catch her breath.

Her hair has fallen in front of her face, her hands placed on her knees for support.

I force myself up, and begin to jog over to her.

My heart beats fast, my breathing irregular, as I begin to curse Lucy in my head. I internally scold myself for being so naive. I should've known she was up to something but instead I-

My thoughts come to an immediate halt at the image that begins to unfold ahead of me. 

I see a car quickly speeding down the narrow street.

"Violet!" I shout, this time louder than I have before.

Why wasn't she moving? Why wasn't the car stopping? I think to myself, as my brisk jog has now evolved into a quick and desperate sprint.

I continuously shout her name, each time louder than the last.

And just as I'm about to reach the street, everything appears to happen in slow motion.

The car's bright lights illuminate Violet's crouched form.

There's a loud screeching noise that echoes throughout the empty streets, vibrating off the walls of every closed shop. Presumably the drivers delayed attempt to hit the brakes.

The car stops with a harsh jolt, but not before hitting Violet with a hard thrust as she falls onto the pavement. 

Just as I reach her unconscious form, the man driving the car, stumbles out on to the street.

"I- she- came out of nowhere!" He stutters, anxiously running his fingers through his hair.

"Call for help!" I shout, pointing towards the payphone that sat outside a closed shop in front of us.

Warm tears fall onto my cheeks as I lightly brush her hair out of her face, careful not to move her.

A long, thin laceration is across her forehead, and small amounts blood seep from cuts along her face and arms.

"I'm so sorry," I mumble into her hair, as the sounds of distant sirens can be heard...

A/n: sorry for such a sad chapter :((
I wanted at least 30 chapters before I completed this book so I needed a plot twist of some kind!
As always, thanks for reading, commenting & voting 💜💜
Ps: it's my birthday!!!!!!! So had to get this chapter up 😋