26

"Violet!" Mr. Keating sings, his face lighting up as I slowly enter the classroom.

I gaze at the many faces that sat in the desks. Most held an expression that read confusion and intrigue, while the boys sent me warm smiles.

"It's good to have you back," He adds warmly, gesturing to my usual seat that was now vacant, adjacent to Charlie.

I smile, making my way over towards the desk, trying my best to avoid the many pairs of eyes that donned my figure as I walked past.

"So, how's your first day?" Charlie asks, leaning his back against the seat, his arm sprawled over the top of the chair.

"Just peachy," I respond facetiously, causing Charlie to release a throaty chuckle, which earns disapproving glares from a few surrounding students.

"Now," Mr. Keating begins, pulling Charlie and I from our previous conversation.

"Tomorrow, we will be embarking on a field trip of sorts..." he pauses briefly, appearing to be in deep thought, before continuing.

"An adventure would be a far more accurate depiction!"

"-An adventure?" A student sitting somewhere in the middle scoffs, "to where?"

"Well, we will be joining the public school to a theatre production," he finishes, earning several groans from annoyed students at the mere mention of the public school.

Frankly, I didn't understand the distaste Welton students had for them, or vice versa for that matter.

I scan the reactions around the room, Charlie's face contains his signature grin, Todd seems horrified at the mere prospect of having to meet new people, Neil's features are hard to read, and Knox seems to have enough excitement for all of us combined.

"Bus leaves at ten o'clock sharp, don't be late!" He attempts to say menacingly, which proves to be a tough feat for someone as kind as himself.

"Well that's all for today," Mr. Keating spoke, quieting down the wave of murmur's that echoed around the class.

"Do you know what this means?" Knox spoke once we all had reached the hallway, and fell into step with one another.

"Don't tell me you're still hung up over Chris." Pitts groaned, shaking his head vigorously.

"This is my chance!" Knox spoke hopefully, a glimmer of eagerness filling his optimistic eyes.

"-who's Chris?" I ask bemused. Although, from the look in his eyes alone, I could tell he was rather infatuated with this person.

"Christine- and she's only the love of my life!" Knox responds dramatically, which arose no surprise in any of the boys. Who, I'm assuming, are used to Knox and his hopeless romantic ways.

Hope pours from his skin, radiating from his blood. It's why I loved Knox so much. He held a certain naivety, of which some may mistake for ignorance, to the heartbreak that was often reality. Even in our darkest hours, Knox managed to be that flicker of light we all so desperately needed.

"Well, best of luck to you, buddy. Again." Charlie laughed, causing me to playfully nudge his side with my elbow.

Once we reached our dorms, we bid our goodbyes and parted ways. Of course, with the exception of Charlie, who shuffled behind me and into my room.

Charlie laid on my bed, his arm draped around me as I snuggled into his side. His one hand lay steady on the small of my back, holding me close. While the other, mindlessly twirled strands of my hair around his fingers.

I sighed contently, drawing soft circles on the exposed skin of his chest, basking in the serenity of the moment.

Our bodies molded together perfectly, sharing warmth, as our breaths danced in unison.

I knew Charlie was about to fall asleep-if he hadn't already, as his breathing become slower, his chest slowly rising and falling as I lay my head against it.

Yet, even in the comfort of the moment, my mind lingered to darker thoughts.

I feel my eyelids fall heavy, as I desperately cling to a sleeping Charlie. Glancing up at the figure beneath me through my lashes, I manage to steady my breathing and somewhat isolate the ominous thoughts.

As I rest my head steady on his chest, becoming engulfed by the familiar and welcomed scent that lightly lingers from his clothes, I will myself to fall asleep.

Where Knox held a great deal of excitement for a particular student who graced the halls of the local public school, I, on the other hand, held a great deal of anger and disdain towards one of its members.

Someone who I would rather not see. Someone who thinks her good looks and charm can get her anything she so desires. Even when what she desires is the single most important part of my life.

A/N: just a filler chapter 🙃