16

It was nearly winter break, and while most students couldn't wait to escape Welton and return to their luxury homes, I however held my reservations.

My parents had already informed me that they wouldn't be home this Christmas. Business trip or something or other.

The silver lining though, my best friend Lucy was coming. My mother mentioned that in the letter, probably to soften the blow of a lonesome Christmas.

Lucy was my closest friend growing up. Our families are fairly close. Our fathers work at the same law firm.

Which in their world, means best of friends. Mainly for business purposes.

Truth be told, I don't think Lucy's parents really enjoyed the company of mine.

Her mother is a school teacher. She is very kind and warm from what I remember. Her father had a sense of humour, something that has seemed to escape my father over the years.

To be exact, the letter said that Lucy and her family will be in Delaware since Lilly, her mother, got a new teaching position at a local primary school.

"Hey, you." Charlie spoke from behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling my thoughts from the letter.

I smile at the comforting feeling I get from his chin nuzzled in the nape of my neck.

His gaze falls upon the letter in my hand.

"What's that?" He asks, pointing to the folded paper.

"My parents. They have graciously informed me that they will not be in town this Christmas," I respond.

"Mmhm well, I guess that means you're coming home with me then?" Charlie questions rather rhetorically.

"Does it?" I answer sarcastically.

Truth be told, I was slightly nervous to meet Charlie's family. I was sort of hoping I could delay that for as long as possible.

I can't imagine his parents are as lax as he is.

Not to mention, once I had met his, I feared his eagerness to meet mine would only increase.

"Who's Lucy?" He questions, pointing to the letter he's now opened.

"Oh, she's a friend. Her family's moving here sometime this-"

"-Vi!" I hear a voice behind me shout.

My head snaps in the direction.

Waving her hand vigorously in the air, stands Lucy.

She stands tall, with long strawberry blonde hair that nearly reaches her hips. She wore a baby pink dress and a yellow cardigan-even in this weather. But leave it to Lucy to do such things.

I abandon Charlie, running over to the entrance doors where Lucy stood.

"Wow, I haven't seen you in forever!" She beams, pulling me into a tight embrace.

"How are you? How's school? How's home? How's-" before she could fire off another string of questions, Charlie appears, slinging an arm over my shoulder, while extending the other to Lucy.

"Charlie Dalton." He states, shaking her hand before returning it to its usual place in the warmth of his  pocket.

"Lucy Greene." She responds, before returning her attention to me.

"So, what are you the only girl here?" She questions, gesturing around to the many boys clad in identical uniforms.

"No," I chuckle, "I'm one of 10. We're a small sum, but account for the best looking and highest GPA's here at Hell-ton." I finish, winking at Charlie.

"Well, can't argue with that." He responds with a chuckle.

"So, are you going here now?" I ask, returning my attention to Lucy.

"No, I'm going to a public high school up the street. No uniforms at least." She says the last part lightly.

"Well, I have my own room. One of the many perks of being the only female senior," I say flippantly before continuing, "I can sneak you in, we can have sleepovers!"

I ignore Charlie's suggestive glare, lightly elbowing him, to which he grunts in response.

"How about tonight?" Lucy asks eagerly.

"Okay, meet me here after lights out. Erm ten o'clock." I say correcting myself, I'm so used to saying that to Charlie or Knox or Pitts or one of the guys, that I forgot Luce doesn't know what time constitutes 'lights out.'

"Will do," she says, pulling me in for one last hug before departing.

"Oh and nice to meet you, Charlie." She says, turning on her heel, while flipping her long blonde locks over her shoulder and sending a wink in his direction.

A/n: this is just a filler chapter to introduce a new character & plot! Thanks as always for reading ☺️

Ps: I'm posting the second part to this chapter very soon :)