Chapter Five.

"It's time, Rachel." Pedro said hardly above a whisper, his face etched with worry.

We'd gotten Rose up first thing this morning so that we could explain everything to her. Well, not everything, but we explained that she would be going to stay with Pedro for a while, while momma and daddy went to our honeymoon. I hated lying to her more than anyone. I also hated that Logan wasn't here to tell her goodbye.

Regardless of the fact that he is obviously pissed, and probably running for the hills, I know that Logan loves Rose more than anything and that he will be upset when he does realizes that she'd already left. I tried to call him, but when he'd stormed out last night he hadn't taken his phone, or even his shoes. He'd literally just driven away and now night was falling and he still wasn't back yet.

The sound of my zipper on my bag was loud and ominous, like I was zipping up my life and putting it away for who knows how long. Maybe Calvin knows, but I sure don't, and even Pedro seems unsure of this grand plan. All he will tell me is that it is our only chance.

I put the bag over my shoulder, walked to the wall and flipped out the lights, an uneasy feeling taking me over as I walked out of my house, possibly to never return, and I closed the door behind me.

Rose's little warm hand in mine was the only thing keeping me from losing my cool right now. She is my center, my sanity, and my strength. I have no idea what I'm going to do without her at my side to keep me in check.

Two cabs were waiting down in the driveway, and I had to remind myself over and over to just keep breathing, and not to let my worry slip through my façade. I didn't want to frighten Rose or give her any reason to worry. She is very smart and notices things. She is very perceptive to people, and I don't want her going into this already on edge.

Pedro nodded to me once as I opened up the cab door, putting Rose's little bag on the seat. She'd packed light, mostly just a few play clothes, books, and a couple of dolls. I put on a smile and knelt down in front of her, kissing both of her cheeks. "I'm going to miss you so much." I said to her, careful not to let my voice shake. "I'll be thinking of you all the time."

She grinned, yawning sleepily already. "Where are you and Daddy going?" She asked.

"I'm not sure yet, sweetie." I shrugged. "Daddy says it's a surprise."

"Daddy is good at surprises." She smiled.

My heart ached and my eyes burned, but I smiled anyway. "Yeah, he is."

She frowned a little as she looked down at her little red shoes. "He couldn't come home early?" She asked softly for the third time today. She knows it is odd that she wouldn't see Logan before she leaves. He's always doted on her, and she loves him so much. I couldn't help the sadness that showed through my smile, but I pulled her into a hug, kissing her head. She leaned into me, but then she suddenly jerked back. "Daddy!" She called, looking passed me down to the road where Logan was parking the car by the curb, nearly taking out the mailbox in his hurry.

Logan hopped out of the car and ran towards us, pulling Rose and me both into a hug. "I'm sorry." He whispered to me, kissing my cheek softly. He let us go and he leaned down to Rose. "Let me talk to mom just a second, alright Rosebud? Then I will help get you buckled in."

"Ok, Daddy." She grinned up at him, her dimples digging into her cheeks. "I knew you'd come." She grinned, and it was like I'd been punched in the stomach.

Logan kissed her forehead, then pulled me by the hand over to the side and I glanced back over and saw Pedro watching us unapprovingly before he bent down and started talking to Rose to keep her distracted.