Chapter 8 - The Confrontation

Photo Credit : Couldn't trace back ownership of photo. I don't own this nor do I claim rights to it.

Hello readers! I'm sure you are hung over like me from the wonderful episode of Kalye Serye yesterday. So much love overflowing everywhere! My belief in true love is restored, especially in seeing our two bibis so into each other. Maine being clingy and Richard being so attentive to her is life.

So I finally was able to post my update now, a crucial face-off between the young couple Richard and Dei, and her parents. This chapter also has the much-awaited back story on Dei's mother, how she became such a messed up dysfunctional mother. It does not justify her cruelty, but sheds light on why she is the way she is.

Hope you enjoy reading this, enough to share your views about it. Looking forward to hearing from you :) 

It was a beautiful Sunday morning Dei woke up to. The wonderful smell of bacon and pancakes filled her nostrils. She quickly took a shower and changed into jeans and a white pullover and sneakers. Her hair took more time to style, thankfully Riza had a hair dryer that she used to tame the wayward locks.

She waited for Riza to get ready, after which they went down together to the veranda for breakfast. Richard was already awake, freshly shaven and looking so handsome in a navy blue polo shirt and khakis. He rose from his seat to hug her close, kissing her forehead.

"Sleep well, babe?"

"Yes I did, thanks. And you?"

"Couldn't sleep, may kulang eh." He looked at her knowingly, making her blush.

Richard's parents delighted with Dei finally appearing more at home and eating heartily. After breakfast, they all rode the van together and went to mass.

Hearing mass with the Faulkersons was a heartwarming experience. During the "peace be with you" part of the mass, they all hugged each other. It was touching to see Richard hug his dad then his mom and grandmother, to see him hug Riza then poke her in the side teasingly. This was the kind of family she wanted.

It was finally time to say their goodbyes and go their way to the difficult mission of meeting Dei's parents. Dei already called her papa to tell them she was going home with someone they needed to meet. She was quiet for the rest of the journey, and Richard was lost in thoughts as well. He was a bit nervous, not knowing how he would react in case Dei's mama suddenly lifts a hand to hurt Dei in front of him.

-----

Marian waited anxiously for her daughter to arrive. She couldn't sleep for the past two days, worried sick over her daughter. She deeply regretted her rash reaction to discovering Dei's deception, but the damage has been done. She hurt Dei once again, and it drove a wedge between them further.

Ever since she was little, controlling emotions was always a challenge for her. Growing up in a Spanish household, her mama watched over them with an iron fist. Her papa was a weird combination of a womanizer and devout lover, she saw how he doted on her mama, but he just couldn't say no to other women who fawned over him. He was a handsome man with magnetic charm, his intelligence an added attraction for women who liked suave, sophisticated men who talked intellectually.

For the duration of her childhood and young adult years, Marian saw how her mama struggled with her papa's philandering. Mama would go after her papa, always investigating suspicious "friends" and associates, but it always ended the same way; she would go home defeated, heartbroken to find her husband in the arms of another woman.