Chapter 17 - Coping

Photo Credit : Taken from Pep.ph Commentary on Maine Mendoza

Hello my dears! I am soooo happy because my fic jumped from rank 102 to 34! Not really gearing for top rank but I am touched with all the appreciation for this fic. It's a difficult story to write, more mature than Love, Anonymous, and I was afraid some people might get turned off by the storyline. But you are all awesome!!! Thank you for the love. If only I can meet you one by one and thank you personally, I would.

Anyway, if you will notice, our timeline is moving quicker now, because I know you all would like to jump to the present. Patience, my dears, a few chapters more and the story will reveal what you need to know.

I hope I will always meet your expectations for every chapter, your comments have always been my guide, so keep sending them. God bless you all and hope you stay with me till the end <3

May 2014

Dei knelt to pray some more after the morning mass was over. It had been a year since the accident, since she lost her baby to premature labor. She attended the mass alone, Richard was at work and she preferred to have some alone time to reflect on certain things in her life.

So much has happened since she and Richard talked last Christmas of 2013. Richard shared with her his plans of buying a house near his parents' home and selling the condo, to which she agreed. They didn't have enough money to have a house constructed in that piece of land her parents gave them as a wedding gift. The house they found was a two-bedroom property in Sta. Rosa, a mere 10-minute drive away from Westgrove where his parents live.

Since the house they purchased was not as near to supermarkets and other conveniences like the condo they used to live in, Dei's parents gave her their car, opting to buy a smaller one for themselves, since they didn't really go out that much. She took driving lessons and could now drive confidently, giving her a newfound freedom that allowed her to go places without having to wait for Richard to take her.

She stepped out of the church and got into her car, craving for some coffee and sweets. She drove to Nuvali and picked Toastbox to pass the time. She wondered if Richard remembered the significance of this day. She touched the scar on her right temple, a one inch gash that bled like crazy when she banged her head against the right passenger window in that fateful accident. It was fortunate that she didn't suffer any skull fractures, just the gash that needed stitching.

She wondered why she still wasn't conceiving despite their sexual activity. She was afraid to go to her OB GYNE, the hospital suddenly became a scary place for her after her accident. She and Richard never discussed about conceiving though, it were as if they both skirted the issue, because it was a sensitive one for both of them.

She paid her bill and left Nuvali to head home. She had articles to do and some research for a website she was conceptualizing. In ten minutes, she entered their village and turned right at the forked road, driving towards their house.

Strangely, Richard's car was parked in their garage. She parked in front of their gate and punched the code for their iron gate to open. She unlocked the front door to herself in, searching for her husband, feeling slightly worried.

He was inside their bedroom, still in his office clothes but seemed to have dozed off. His nose seemed red from crying, his eyelashes were wet. Her heart constricted, feeling his pain. He remembered. She sat on the bed, taking off her shoes and lay down beside him, kissing his mouth. He felt her lips on his, thinking he was dreaming. He pulled her body close to deepen the kiss, his breath catching.

He wondered why his day started crappy, he literally dragged his feet to work. Then it hit him while he was preparing a procurement memo, the date reminded him of the tragedy that hit them last year. No wonder Dei was quiet when he left.