Chapter 54 - Thirdy's View

Photo Credit : I just grabbed this way back from Twitter, so CTTO, I don't own this photo nor claim any rights to it. 

Hello my dears, tried to have a little fun with this chapter by writing in Thirdy's perspective about having a new baby sister. We sometimes take for granted what a new baby would be like for the firstborn. 

I saw my four-year-old's sadness when all his titos and titas were crowding around his new baby brother.  That young, they already feel it, believe me. So here's a slice of that perspective, just a guide to parents who have new babies coming or already have arrived. Always balance the attention, you'll never know how much impact that attention will create on the lives of children later on.

December 30, 2019

They were back in this situation once again, a winning tandem brought together by their second effort of bringing life into fore. Dei was not as nervous this time, she was assured that Richard was beside her every step of the way. This was a pregnancy that they enjoyed together, and further blessed by their firstborn, soon-to-be kuya, Thirdy.

Dei breezed through her pregnancy without any complications and just the usual morning sickness. Since she was on a sabbatical, she got enough rest, and was with Richard often. She rarely left the house but went on long walks with Richard, sometimes bringing Thirdy with them in his bicycle. It was the perfect setup of domesticated bliss she always dreamed about when she was young.

She never really wanted fame or to climb the corporate ladder. She just wanted to be a writer, to maybe earn a little from it, but mostly, she wanted to be a wife and mother. Richard gave her that opportunity now, with all the projects he has been getting left and right. He is earning enough for both of them, and has been able to balance work and family by holding office in their house.

Now, Richard was again dressed in a sterile gown, his face protected by a sterile mask. Maine was breathing laboriously, her contractions already coming in more often. She was sweating, in pain, but was concentrating on her breathing. She was actually ahead of her scheduled delivery by two weeks, but was assured by her OB-GYNE that it was already well within the safe zone of delivery, having surpassed the 36 weeks minimum.

"Babe, you're doing great. That's it.........Push.......Push........."

"Dei, you're crowning already. Come one take a deep breath and give us one big push......."

Despite the pain, Richard's kiss on her forehead got her through that last push. She gave it her all and felt her insides rip in pain, but the cries of their second baby buoyed her senses. Dei waited till they wrapped the baby in a blanket and was laid in her arms.

"Hello Athena," Dei said softly, marveling at the perfect pink lips shaped like Richard's mouth, her long curly eyelashes and straight nose. She had no dimple but the deepest cleft in her chin, and it was so cute that it brought tears to her eyes.

"Babe, she's perfect," She said, looking at Richard with so much love, her eyes shining. He took a photo of them and gave his phone to one of the nurses so that they could have a family picture. Dei gave him his chance to cuddle their little princess. It was his turn to get misty-eyed, because he remembered their first baby that did not make it, counting the years again, imagining what their could-have-been six year old son looked like by now.

But casting the sad thought aside, he touches the irresistible cleft on Athena's chin, making her smile her first for him. "Hello, baby girl," He said softly, recognizing the perfectly arched eyebrows and long eyelashes to be Dei's. "You look so sweet, just like mommy."

Too soon, a pediatric nurse was claiming Athena to be properly dressed and checked. He approached Dei, who was fitting in and out of consciousness, fighting against falling asleep. "Dei baby, rest. Our baby is fine. You were wonderful back there." He took off his mask and kissed her lips, caressing her jawline before he stepped out of the delivery room.

He passed by the chapel to pay his respects and thank the Lord for helping them through the smooth delivery. In a short while, Dei's mom would be meeting him at the nursery with Thirdy, who would've finished with his check-up and immunization shots.

He knelt on a pew and talked to his maker, the way he always did.

"Lord, maraming salamat sa lahat ng grasya na binibigay mo sa amin. Alam ko, may panahon na nagtampo ako, nagalit, nawalan ng pag-asa na magbabago ang buhay namin. Akala ko hindi na kami mabubuo ulit. But you persevered and proved me wrong.

Thank you for not giving up on me, Lord. Thank you for giving me a chance na mabuo ko pamilya ko. Thank you po sa opportunities namin ni Dei, and for giving Dei what she really wants. Sana po, sa susunod mong pagsubok, kayanin pa rin namin. Sana po maging mas matibay na kami para hindi na kami maghiwalay. Pinapangako ko sayo Lord, hindi ko papabayaan ang pamilya ko, sila lagi ang priority ko."

He rose from the pew and sat for a while in this same chapel, where he prayed when his first baby lost his life in a premature birthing. He had no regrets, he could not question God's will, His reasons for taking away the child from them. But the experiences he and Dei went through after losing that baby made their love even stronger.

-----

Thirdy was proud as punch of himself. He was now a big boy, a kuya. He already helps mommy with small errands before she gave birth, like massaging her head, helping the baby inside her go to sleep by singing to it, and kissing mommy good night so that she will fall asleep fast.

He proudly chose what to wear today, because he wanted baby sister to see how nice he looked. He behaved when he was given his immunization boosters, he didn't cry even when the needle hurt his arm. Mommy said big boys are brave, that immunization shots were painful but good for him.

When the elevator door opened to the nursery, he excitedly jumped up and down when he saw daddy. He ran to daddy, whose big arms were waiting for him. He loves it when daddy swings him up in his arms, especially now that he would get to see his baby sister.

"Daddy.....can we see my baby sister now?"

Daddy smiled at him and kissed his cheek, his small pointy hairs tickling Thirdy's jaw.

"Hold this and press it against the mirror, Thirdy. There.......so that the nurse will know what baby she will bring for us to see."

The nurse smiled at Thirdy and behind the viewing partition. In a few moments she was back, showing him his baby sister. But instead of being happy, Thirdy cried. He got out of his daddy's arms and ran, Daddy coming after him. He hid but daddy found him anyway. Daddy hugged him, waiting for him to stop crying.

"Son, what is it? Baby sister is here, you're big brother now."

And Thirdy cried some more. In between his sobs, Daddy found out what was wrong.

"Daddy........mommy hasss new baby na...... I'm not her baby anymorrrrre....." His tears kept falling and daddy hugged him tightly, almost too tight, but he always liked daddy's hugs. They always made him feel good.

"Aww, Thirdy noooo....." Daddy wiped the tears off his face and pinched his nose.

"You are mommy's first baby, baby sister Athena is her second baby. You can still be her baby even if you're already kuya. Isn't that great? You are both baby and kuya. That means you're important. Mommy needs your help but she also wants to hug you and carry you like before. That won't change, son."

"What about you..... daddy? I'm..... still your........ baby?"

"Of course naman! Daddy will still sleep beside you, make your milk, carry you at night. Nothing will change, baby boy. I love you, Thirdy."

"Wabu Daddy....."

"Thirdy.........say it the right way."

"Ayaw."

"Ay....sige ka....."

"Iloveyoudaddy..."

"Daling kausap ha. Come on......baby sister wants to meet you, ok?"

"Ok....... Then we'll eat McDo?"

"And then we'll eat McDo."