Chapter 53 - Sad Beginnings and Happy Endings

∞ ᴪ ∞

Chapter 53 — Sad Beginnings and Happy Endings

I regretted the moment I finally decided to listen to Leon’s demo CD. All day, it had been playing on my head even though I tried to hum other songs. One time, I was helping Mom with the dishes and it unintentionally slipped out of my mouth just like that. I broke two plates, a tall glass and a fork in the process though I had no idea how I managed to destroy a fork at all.

My mind was in total chaos and I just had to clear it up so I listened to it again. Leon’s mellifluous voice filled the room and I closed my eyes feeling the funny fluttering in my chest.

“Great. The song is called… Sarah,” he said in the recording.

When you said yes, you meant no

You want me to stay, but you said go

I know you care but you act so cold

You’re the greatest story ever told

Remember that apple I left on your table

It’s been sitting in your fridge since last September

And all the time I’ve been staring when you’re not looking

I’ve been dying to know what on earth you are thinking

So can you tell me?

Drum beats began to blend with Leon’s piano followed by an acoustic guitar, the tempo picking up to a slow rock. The chorus filled the air as Leon’s voice intensified.

Sarah… can you just smile for me?

Forever, would you belong to me?

Even though you are hurting you’d smile like it’s nothing

What should I do?

If I keep you forever would you cry on my shoulder?

I’ll be your knight, though not in shining armor

‘Cause I can’t get enough of you… Sarah

I covered my mouth with a hand and held back a sob. I wasn’t so sure of myself anymore. Leon continued playing the piano in a short instrumental break.

You bring out the worst and the best in me

When you close your eyes, is it me you see?

Would you say those three words over again?

‘Cause I’d say it a million times ‘til the end

You’re a puzzle, a riddle, a big mystery

If you’re a game I’d play you for eternity

We bumped onto each other a thousand times before

And I just wish I could catch you whenever you fall

So if you won’t mind…

Leon sang the chorus again and the accompaniment halted to a pause.

“That’s it for now. The last part’s still… err… in progress,” Leon said hesitantly. There were several voices in the background before the recording stopped.

Staring at the blank monitor, my thoughts raced. What do I do? Maybe it was too late. No, Nathan was just messing with me.

I stood up in impulse not really sure what I was doing. Before I knew it, I was already marching to Leon’s house, hauling the big box with all the CDs, the mobile phone and the bulky rope ladder. It took me a while pacing back and forth the front porch.