Prologue

Sometimes people really do surprise you, and it's a good thing.

If you've been surrounded by people who have always treated you like dirt then you learn not to expect too much of others. You learn not to trust in anyone but yourself and you learn to fight relationships with everything you have. You learn to protect yourself above all.

Somewhere deep down inside you know there must be people out there who aren't going to treat you badly but thinking that there are and actually knowing that there are, that's two completely different things.

When you have lived in an environment where abuse is a common thing, then you slowly come to think that that's how the world works. People hurt each other and there is nothing strange about that.

When you've fallen so far as to think that it's your fault people are treating you badly, that's when you start to give up. That's when you wish someone would just come along and save you, to teach you that there is nothing wrong with demanding respect.

If you are lucky enough to meet someone who shows you how much you're actually worth then you should listen to them. You should try and be more than just a victim. More than just a soul walking around.

Because sometimes people really do surprise you... and it's a good thing.