Chapter 39: A firm promise

I took a careful step to the side so that I was partly hidden behind Ethan, trying to use him as a protective shield against the power that the brothers emitted. I knew that my eyes became twice their usual size when Alex turned his dark eyes on me. Great, if the black eyes didn’t tell me the truth then the murderous stare he shot my way did...he was royally pissed.

Why? Well I think we can all guess why...and at whom...

“Is it just me or are they not glaring at me?” Lazarus said with an amused tone as he blinked at me.

“No, that would be sweet little me...” I muttered under my breath as I glared back at Lazarus.

“How strange! Have you been a bad boy Ash?” He went on and I felt my temper flare. He acted like I was five years old! I was just about to yell at him when I felt a strong hand sneak around my waist and hug me from behind. I turned my head in surprise and came face to face with Matt.

“Excuse me but why the hell are you hugging me?” I said in annoyance. Matt gave me a bright smile and tightened his grip while he said:

“It looked like ‘sweet little you’ needed one, that’s why!”

Oh so that’s how it was going to be huh?

“Well if I would have needed one it wouldn’t have been from you, retard. Go hug your ma...aa...that guy instead!” I hissed as I pointed at Ethan. Oh shit, I had been too close to saying ‘go hug your mate’ right now. I wondered how Matt would have reacted to that.

“Aww but I would much rather hug you Ash.” Matt went on with an overly sweet voice and I didn’t dare look in the direction of neither Ethan nor the brothers’. I could clearly feel the tension building in the air so I didn’t really need to see them to know that they were staring at us. I had to get Matt off of me if I didn’t want to be ripped to pieces by an angry Ethan.

“Well tough, I don’t want to hug you! Could you be so kind as to unhand me or do I have to make you?” I said in an irritated voice and I could feel Matt chuckle against me. He knew that I wasn’t as mad as I pretended to be.

“That’s cold Ash. I was just trying to be nice...” Matt made a pouting face at me when I put my hands against his chest and pushed him away.

Nice my ass...

When Matt had finally let go of me and I could move freely again I dared throw an eye in the direction of the brothers. I literally felt like I shrank to the size of an ant as Alex dark gaze met mine. I wanted to look away but his eyes held mine captive and I could clearly see the promise of a big as hell punishment coming my way.

When he bared his teeth slightly I automatically lowered my gaze to his chest and I got a strong, almost overwhelming urge to get down on my hands and knees in front of him. I don’t know why but I got the feeling that it would have at least soothed his anger a bit.

“Get over here.” Alex suddenly said. His voice was icy and I knew that it hadn’t really been a request...more like a command directed my way.

I couldn’t move until Ethan’s hand shot out and he gave me a push in the direction of the three brothers’. I took a hesitant step forward but when I was about to take another step another hand took a grip around my right arm, stopping me from moving and locking me in place. I looked up in surprise and my eyes landed on Lazarus cold face.

“Where do you think you’re going cutie?” He said with a small smirk. I frowned down at the hand he had wrapped around my arm before I raised my head and gave him a slight glare.

“Let go.” I said in irritation while I tugged my arm against me. I could feel him tightening his grip and I winced as his nails dug into the skin on my upper arm. Suddenly a fierce growl was heard and I shifted my eyes to the three brothers’. Anton had been the one growling but I could see Adam glaring daggers at Lazarus and Alex baring his teeth in fury.