Chapter 34: A possible way out

"Are you done with that?" Vincent asked me as he glanced at my half eaten plate of pancakes and I shrugged my shoulders indifferently. I watched as he brought my plate towards his own and moved the pancake over with a slight frown on my face. If I was right he had almost eaten eleven of those and I found myself wondering how he could still manage to look like that

"Stop staring at him Ash!" Alex said in an annoyed voice and I shifted my gaze towards his irritated face.

"What? I wasn’t staring." I said in a simple tone and Alex gave me a “don’t lie to me”-look.

"Yeah you were. You’re ogling him like he’s some kind of secret masterpiece!" He growled lowly and my eyes narrowed at his tone. He sounded…dare I say it…jealous. I let out a heavy sigh as I rolled my eyes and said:

"Oh fuck you caught me, I was totally checking him out because he’s so damn good-looking and when he eats that pancake it’s such a turn-on I’m…" I was cut of midsentence by a deep rumbling and I turned my head to look at a now fuming Alex. His eyes were a dark shade of stormy blue and I laughed mentally. Maybe I had taken that a tad too far…

"I’m not into guys." Vincent stated with his mouth stuffed with pancakes and I turned my attention back at him.

"Ever heard about something called sarcasm? I’m not into guys either and even if I were it wouldn’t be you, sorry." I said in a teasing voice as I shook my head at him. Vincent gave me a glare from across the table and I returned it, rolling my eyes at the same time. I was telling the truth though because if I would be interested in guys it wouldn’t be someone like him...probably. I frowned at my own thoughts and wondered why I even bothered.

"Ash can we play hide- and seek?" Kate suddenly said and I gave her a tired look.

"No." I answered and I could see her frowning at me from the corner of my eye.

"Pretty please, with sugar on top?" She pleaded with a sweet voice and I huffed. I would not fall for her this time. I shook my head at her stubbornly but she wouldn’t take that and her eyes narrowed dangerously.

"You will do as I say or I will find a way to get back at you and it won’t be pretty at all." She stated and I paused to glare at her grim face. Okay, I did not want her trying to get back at me for something as simple as not playing with her so I sighed and shot her an irritated eye.

"Fine, but I’m not counting." I muttered and her face lit up like a freaking Christmas tree.

"You don’t have to because Vincent will, won’t you?" Kate said as she gave Vincent a sharp look. I could see how he was just about to protest when he saw the dangerous look Amber was directing at him, and immediately changed his mind.

"I’ll be happy to." he muttered under his breath and I could see Kate smiling even brighter.

Seemed to me I wasn’t the only one getting whipped by small girls today...

"You have to count to at least thirty before you start searching for us." Kate said in a happy voice before she jumped on her feet and ran up to me. Vincent nodded in defeat and I sighed once again as Kate took a hold of my left hand dragging me up in a standing position.

"Go!" She shouted before she let go of me and ran towards the kitchen entrance. Vincent started counting loudly and I stared at him until it dawned on me that if I didn’t hide soon I would be the next to count. Shit, I cursed as I ran after Kate, scolding myself for not reacting faster. Vincent had already reached fifteen when I reached the entrance and I could hear Amber laughing behind me.