Chapter 1: Cold acquaintance

Severus Snape has the DADA and there's a new Potions Professor; one which Snape just can't leave alone. 

This story is set in Harry's last year and is completely AU. COMPLETELY AU!

Enjoy! :)

__________________________

Professor Snape had realised a long yearned for ambition; he had finally ascended to the position of Defence Against Dark Arts Master. He was magnanimous in his victory and was more than willing to condescend in relinquishing his Potions Classroom to the New Potions Mistress. He was not, however, willing to give up his own personal rooms down there; which was just as well really. He was still the Head of Slytherin and as such needed to be near the student's dorm rooms to be able to keep control.

Megan Kincaid, the new Potions Mistress was quite happy to be accommodated in the staff quarters; and Snape had given up one of his precious store rooms, albeit grudgingly, for the study she would need near the classroom. He had been quite unwilling and indeed, completely uncommunicative, when Professor Dumbledore had tried to prise him away from his own study to the one situated in his new classroom.

And so, here she was now, Megan Kincaid, looking around the rather dreary, cold room that was to become her new study.

"Something is wrong, Professor?" Snape asked Megan as he watched her looking around the room he had cleared for her. It was dark, damp and smelled of some sort of potions all mixed in together; it was unpleasant and he knew it.

"No." She smiled up at his dark, unsmiling face. She watched his lank hair fall forward slightly, it's black as night, no hint of brown at all; just like those eyes of his, black and bottomless. Like a shark.

She looked away still smiling, an uneasy feeling washing over her. She felt as if he could look into her soul and know everything about her, which was a very unsettling feeling for her.

"Please, call me Meg." She breezed across to where a solitary desk stood up by one wall. "This is perfect! Thank you very much for letting me use some space down here." She was speaking to him as she placed her small box on the tale and began to pull her possessions out of it.

Snape stood in the doorway watching, his eyes half shut, as an amazing array of items were pulled out and sent to different locations in the room. He could take no more when she pulled a twelve foot Persian rug from the two foot box and with a flick of her wand had it settled on the floor.

"Professor Kincaid..." he began, completely ignoring her request for him to call her Meg. "Your box is unusual; most people pack in trunks."

"Oh, I know." She looked up at him quickly, her grey eyes flashing with humour. "But I've always been a sucker for Disney films, and Mary Poppins just has the most amazing carpet bag. Just a little spell and, while it's not as nice as a carpet bag, it does well." She grinned impishly at him and carried on.

"I have no idea what your talking about," he stated coldly.

She looked up and he thought for one second she was taken aback, before once again the closed expression covered her face.

"You don't? Oh no... you wouldn't, would you. Never mind. Who knows, one day." She shrugged absentmindedly and slapped her hand over her stomach as it gave a very unladylike growl.

"Darn. Sorry." She had the grace to blush, rolling her eyes "Starved; is.." she cleared her throat, "dinner, anytime soon?" she asked hopefully.

Snape didn't bother to hide the sneer that crossed his face. He opened his mouth to reply something sarcastic but closed it again. After all, he could be gracious in his new position.