Chapter 58: Epilogue

A/N: The very, very last chapter. Proper notes at the end of this chapter.

Epilogue

18 years later

"Is it true then?"

Severus Snape resisted the urge to pinch the bridge of his nose. He knew he would have to face this at some point. It was obvious that it would occur somewhere along the passage of time that was his life. He'd waited for it, had even found the words he would use when the time would come. Granted, he had thought that because he had not heard them sooner that perhaps he was going to be allowed grace. How stupid of him.

All the carefully thought out words that he had planned didn't seem suitable now. Of course, they'd been planned with a different audience in mind and that audience had never shown the slightest bit of interest. But, obviously, now the axe had fallen.

"Dad?"

He looked up at the softly spoken word and sighed running both his hands through his hair. This was his child in front of him, his only son and it was like looking at himself at that age. The same long black hair, the same slightly sallow skin; although he was glad to say that the prominent nose wasn't quite as bad as his own. But all the same it was obvious he was a Snape by blood; the only hint of his mother was in his gentle nature and love of the outdoors, something he certainly hadn't inherited from him.

"What have you heard?" Snape spoke quietly; his black eyes carefully watching the young man slouched in the chair beside him.

Silas looked at his father, brushing his hair from his face so he could see him better. His eyes were unguarded and Snape could clearly see the doubt in them. It sent a shaft of pain through him; he had known that it would pain him to see his children doubt him, but he had also known it was inevitable. He had expected it with Clarity, but she'd not spoken to him and he had assumed that she had never found out. Certainly there had never been any episodes of angst with her that would have led him to believe she had just learnt her father was a murderer. Well, none except the ones that Meg had assured him were perfectly normal and she'd out-grow; which to his eternal relief she had done just so.

He lifted an eyebrow at Silas and waited for the angst to follow. He almost wished he'd accompanied Meg and Clarity to Diagon Alley now. Almost; because nothing was worse than two women shopping together, apart from maybe when Senga joined them and it was three women. Many times he had found himself lamenting the joys of marriage with Neville while Meg and Senga shopped together. He snorted, now there was a match; his Senga and Neville Longbottom, married for nearly ten years now... where had the time gone?

Silas grunted and shifted in the chair slightly bringing Snape painfully back to the issue at hand.

"Some kids were saying that you used to be a Death Eater with Voldemort."

Snape still couldn't resist the wince that name brought him and he pinched his nose again.

"It's true," he sighed and opened his mouth to recount the whole sorry story; but before he could say anything Silas sat forward and reached across to his arm.

"So how come there's no Dark Mark on your arm?"

It wasn't the question Snape had expected and it threw him. He blinked as his son scooted closer and drew the white shirt up his fathers arm, turning his arm to study the clear skin.

"Your mother and I worked on a potion several years ago now; you were still only a baby when it was perfected."

"So it's gone completely," Silas murmured and traced his finger over his father's skin.