Chapter 21: Thoughts

Megan looked up at Jack and shrugged.

"Is that who you're going to marry?" he asked incredulously.

"Talk about jumping to conclusions; I don't remember stating anywhere in that letter that I was getting married," her voice was resigned.

"Then why the autobiography?" he stared down at her with hazel eyes full of concern.

"I thought that it was time to, y'know, sweep out the cobwebs." She shrugged and pulled away from him, not meeting his eyes.

"Sweep out the cobwebs? What are on you on? Have you been sampling your own potions, sis?"

"Idiot!" She slapped his arm. "Come on, no doubt Minerva would kill me if I let you get away without you saying hello to her."

"Professor McGonagall, is she still here?" Jack's eyes lit up. While Megan had been sorted into Hufflepuff, Jack had been a true Gryffindor. He had also been one of Minerva constant headaches. Not unlike Fred and George Weasley in some ways, though not quite as bad. Jack had spent his years in Hogwarts playing as many practical jokes as he could.

"She is and she's just as strict so don't even think of messing with her." Megan gave him her best teacher voice and her primmest expression.

"Oh my!" He bent quickly and pecked her cheek, squeezing her round the waist. "You really are a Professor aren't you maggot."

"Trying!" She bit her lip, not adding that she'd be turning her back on it soon.

"And is Professor Dumbledore still here? And who was the old goat that showed me in, there was a scraggy cat with him?"

"Yes he is and Mr Filch and Mrs Norris!" she smiled, despite his irreverent words.

"Which was which?" he joked and let her lead him towards the staff room.

"You never change do you?" she scolded him gently.

"I have fond memories of this place Meggie," he said gently. "Best days of my life spent inside these walls."

"Things not so good now?" she asked quickly, recognising the nostalgic tone to his voice.

"Oh yeah, things are just great; so come on then, tell me why you felt the need for a bit of cobweb sweeping."

She looked up at him and shrugged again. His timing couldn't have been worse if he'd tried. But one thing was certain, she was very glad to see him. She had missed him without realising it.

"I missed you," she said simply.

"I missed you too," he replied and leaning down again caught her close to him. "So who's the man that I just put my foot in it with?"

"Severus Snape, he's the Defence Against Dark Arts Professor, used to be the Potions Master..."

"I've heard of him," he said quietly when his name registered.

"Yes." She pulled back again.

"And you two are?"

"Are what? Not getting married if that's what you mean," She snorted. "So you can put your gladrags away again."

"You're not pregnant are you?" he suddenly demanded.

"No!" She rolled her eyes. "What is it with everyone asking if I'm pregnant?" She shook her head and glared at him.

"Okay!" He held up his hands placatingly.

"Look; I need you to understand something but I can't do it here. Where are you staying?"