Chapter 27: Odile

Megan was furious, absolutely furious.

"What on earth did you think you were doing?" she hissed at the boys sitting in the back row.

Adam and looked taken aback more than ashamed.

"It wasn't supposed to do that," Adam said and frowned.

"Not supposed to do that? Then what was it supposed to do?"

"Erm... produce giant bubbles that would stick to the ceiling."

"You have just managed, single handedly, to reduce my entire shelving to rubble." Meg looked across at the ruin of where her shelving had stood; potion bottles and ingredients now lay strewn broken across the floor.

"Get out! Get out now!" She yelled, pointing at the door, her face white with anger.

The boys hastily got to their feet and hurried to the door.

"Get yourselves down to Mr Filches' office and inform him of what has happened here and how!" She shouted. "Then I want you both back here with him to clear it up!" She looked around at the rest of the students glaring at their slightly scared faces.

"Looks like her and Snape are well suited," whispered one of the girls quietly to her friend.

"Jackson, do you wish to be helping them?" she asked pointedly, the girl coloured up.

"Oh, get out all of you! Go straight to your next lesson and wait outside the door; any wandering and I will personally remove every last house point from you. Now go!" She watched them all hurriedly file out of her classroom.

She crossed to stare down at the disaster. For some unknown reason she just wanted to curl up and cry. There were several jars that had been Severus when he taught here. Jars that held unmentionably horrible things; frogs severed down the middle lay staring up at her; different animals in several states of disembowelment. Things that turned her stomach as she stared down at them.

"Oh, for crying out loud, this is potions not Anatomy!" She stamped her foot in frustration and felt tears creep down her face. She dashed them away angrily. She had no idea why such a thing like this would reduce her to tears.

She stomped back to her desk and scribbled a note to pin on the outside of the door. She cancelled the last class of the day and instead informed them to spend the hour in the library writing a five thousand word essay on the basic potion ingredients for a Lacklustre Potion.

Damn she could with some of that!

She pinned the note on the door and with a very satisfying bang slammed the door behind her.

She crossed once again to the mess on her floor and with her hands on her hips shook her head in dismay.

The door opened and a wave of immense irritation came over her. She whirled around.

"Don't you have any manners whatsoever? Knock, please! Oh... it's you." She sagged slightly before straightening up as Severus came towards her. She saw a grim faced Mr Filch behind him with the two terrified looking boys.

"I heard what these two dunderheads did." Severus glared back at them and then stared down at his destroyed collection. "Have you any idea how many years collection that was?" he growled at them before standing aside to let Mr Filch heard them towards the mess.

"Completely ruined!" She nodded sadly. "Although why you have to collect half mutilated animals is beyond me," she added huffily and under her breath; but he heard her.

He looked at her sharply, his eyebrows drawing together in a frown, but Meg was looking down at where the toe of her boot was nudging an eyeball from one poor unfortunate creature.