Chapter 39: Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

When the day is filled with shadows

that stretch into the night,

I am filled with your sweet comfort,

Like morning fills with light.

I will never leave you

I will never go away

We were meant to share each moment

Beside you is where I will stay.

Evermore and always

We'll be one though we are two.

For I will never leave you.

"Something" from the West End Show "Witches of Eastwick":

The thick packet dropped onto Snape's plate, making the knife that had been resting there clatter to the table.

Snape snarled and snatched at the packet with one hand, even as his other hand gently scratched the head of his owl as it perched on his shoulder, hooting softly into his ear.

Snape looked over at Meg's plate and stopped stroking the owl long enough to take the last piece of toast from her plate and offer it to the bird.

"Hey!" Meg frowned at him. "I was saving that!"

"After travelling from my sister's, I'm sure Excelsior needs it far more than you do," he replied, watching the owl as she fluttered her wings softly against his hand and then flew upwards.

"How do you know it's from Odile?" asked Meg, peering at the very formal script writing on the front.

"Her hand writing is unique," he snapped with distaste as he looked down at the packet.

"Well....." drawled Meg, slowly pulling a face.

"Well what?" he snapped, glaring at her.

"I thought it was a 'return to sender,'" She shrugged and avoided his dark eyes as she instead stared at the packet.

"My writing bears no resemblance to Odile's," he said coldly, annoyed that she should even think such a thing.

"Oh, I think it does." She said and used her knife to point to the 'S' in Hogwarts. "Look, she even tails her S's like you do...." Meg faded out as she became aware of his thunderous gaze. He reached forward and removed the knife from her fingers and placed it on her plate.

"Um... what's it about then?" she asked, sitting up straight, pretending she hadn't just got marmalade on the front of the packet.

He wiped it with his napkin and snorted.

"Having not opened it yet, I can't say. Obviously my powers of divination aren't what they ought to be," he drawled sarcastically.

"Now," Meg grinned at him, "don't get all snotty. Half the front row of Slytherin are acutely aware that the teacher 'who never gets post' has just got post!"

Snape glared down at them, and they quickly looked back at their breakfasts under his dark, angry stare.

"Nosy...."

"Yeah, well, mine is itching as well, come on, open up!" Meg interrupted him as she scraped her chair closer to him to peer over his arm.

"Do you mind," he snapped. "I will not open it here; if you've finished..." He eyed her still sticky fingers