Chapter 9: Parkinson

Meg was on her way to the hall for breakfast when she heard crying. She imagined it was Peeves at first, but as she got closer to the source she realised it was a girl crying. She followed the sounds, all thoughts of her hungry stomach disappearing.

She'd left Severus at his desk, busy marking the scrolls he should have done the previous night, muttering about eating at lunch time.

She frowned as she found the source of the crying.

"Miss Weasley?" She watched as Ginny jumped, startled she'd been found.

"Prof.. Professor Kincaid!" She hastily began to scrub at her face with her sleeve.

"What's wrong?" Meg went to her, but didn't touch her.

"No... nothing, miss," she whimpered, before getting better control.

"Nothings don't usually make a person cry, Ginny," Meg pointed out softly.

"I... fell!" It was obviously a lie, but there was nothing for Meg to do besides accept it at face value. Unless Ginny was willing to talk about why she was crying; Meg had no right to pry.

"Do you need Madam Pomfrey to take a look?" she asked, noticing Ginny favouring her left arm.

"No, miss, just bruised."

"Bruised? Let me see." Meg caught a glimpse of bruising on her wrist before Ginny hid her whole arm in her robes.

"It's fine, I'm just feeling a bit upset."

"Where were you going?" she asked her kindly.

"Er... breakfast."

"Oh, so was I, come on then." She waited for Ginny to walk ahead. She knew something was more wrong than just a fall, but she couldn't force the issue.

"Ginny!" She stopped her as they reached the door.

"Yes?"

"If you need to say anything, about anything, you know where my study is."

Ginny looked at her and Meg saw the tears fill her eyes again.

"Thanks," she muttered and almost ran into the hall.

Meg followed frowning slightly.

There were few people here at this time of the morning, but Meg liked an early breakfast. It meant she could always slip back in later if she wanted any more. She went to the staff table pleased to see she was the only one.

She helped herself to bacon and eggs and sat watching Ginny as she slid into a seat by Hermione, who as usual was sitting studying. She watched the older girl slip her arm around Ginny in concern.

The doors opened and Meg watched as Draco Malfoy came in. He was looking for someone, that much was obvious. He looked over at Ginny and Hermione who hadn't noticed his arrival. He took a step forward, seemed to think better of it and turning, went back out the hall.

Meg's eyebrows rose. What was Malfoy up to now?

She frowned, concerned now. If Malfoy was upsetting Ginny and she wasn't saying why...

"You're early Megan, my dear," came the headmaster's voice as he sat beside her and helped himself to some breakfast.

"You know me, can't stay away from the food," she laughed, all thoughts of Draco and Ginny put from her mind.

"Are you going into Hogsmede this weekend?" he asked her conversationally.

"Probably." She nodded. "There's a few things I need." She sipped at her goblet.