Chapter 46: Discovery

Usual disclaimer: I do not own anything and am not gaining anything from doing this except a good feeling

Thank you to Camille for getting this back to me so quickly. And for picking up my errors plenty that they be.

A few notes before I start. Firstly, this chapter doesn't have much baby/Snape interaction although it is there. Secondly this chapter is quite long (again!) but I needed to get this whole scene out with no break as it gets some things on the move.

Thirdly... hum... forgotten! No that's it! Morgana is Senga's true name and as far as Odile's concerned, her only name. (I'm not doubting anyone's intelligence to remember, it's just if you're like me, things kinda get a bit blurry. ( Or is that after the third G & T, or is that just me?) Most probably... and lastly.... I'm really nervous about this chapter (hence the babbling)... Hope you all like it.

______________

This was not as easy as he had first thought.

He stared down at her. She stared back.

"Go on," Meg prompted softly from beside him.

"I will," he said, his voice edged with irritation.

He lifted his hands and settled them beside the baby's head.

"No, Severus, her nappy is on her other end," Meg's voice drifted annoyingly into his ear.

"I know!" he snapped and turned to glare at her. "Don't you have better things to do?"

"Better things than watch my husband change his daughter's first nappy? No, not really." She grinned mischievously at him.

"You annoy me," he stated simply, with just a hint of irritation in his voice now.

"Of course, it's my wifely duty," she returned quickly.

He slowly turned his head to pin her with a dark gaze. His eyebrows lifted wickedly as he let his eyes drift from hers to the bed behind her head.

"I know what your wifely duties are," he drawled lazily.

Meg blushed and swatted his arm playfully.

"You wish," she snorted and walked away towards the bathroom.

"Holding out on me, Mrs Snape?" he teased her mockingly.

"Oh, definitely! Yes!" she nodded quickly. "No way you are getting within ten feet of me for at least six years!"

"But I hold you in my arms every night," he smirked, unconsciously rotating tiny gentle circles on Clarity's cheeks with his fingertips, making her coo softly.

"Holding is fine! Holding is acceptable," she retorted. "Having is... wince inducing," she grimaced.

"I have no intentions of doing anything to bring you pain, Megan," he said seriously, "If I had known...."

Meg knew instantly what he was thinking about.

"Severus! It wasn't that bad. Well, yes it was, but it's over! We have Clarity and look how beautiful she is. Besides it was hardly your fault in the first place. If I learnt to watch my own potions..." She grinned happily. "And there's a reason babies aren't found under cabbage patches! I found out what it is the moment I held her."

"Cabbage patches?" he frowned. "What on earth are you talking about? Did you steal one of those bottles of gas?" he asked suspiciously.

"No, mores the pity," she laughed. "Damn good stuff that," she sighed wistfully.

He snorted and, shaking his head, looked down at Clarity.

"Ignore your mother. As you grow, you will come to understand that she has these flights of fancy, take no notice, they soon pass."