Chapter 40: Come What May

Okay, this is the edited version! Much thanks to Camille for all her hardwork.

_____________________

Snape sat on the edge of their bed. He gently lifted a lock of Meg's hair as he looked down at his sleeping wife.

He let the lock of hair play through his fingers, the strands falling to rest again on the pillow.

Her eyes opened sleepily, a yawn making them close again.

"Sev'rus?" her sleepy voice slurring his name slightly.

"Sshh!" He slid his fingers over her hair stroking gently. "I did not intend to wake you."

"I wasn't really asleep..." she mumbled, snuggling her cheek closer into the pillow and looking up at him with hazy eyes.

"Just resting your eyes..." a gentle hint of mockery colouring his voice.

"Contemplating the inside of my eyelids," she corrected and sat up. His hand fell from her hair to catch one of her hands.

"So how did it go then?" she asked, half of her not caring, half of her truly terrified.

"As I expected," he said quietly and turned her hand over in his to run his fingers down her palm.

"Which is..." prompted Meg.

"All monetary assets are frozen as from the date on the letter; although, it won't be made public until the baby is born. As for the manor, I have twenty-eight days to clear out any personal effects that I have acquired on my own merit, and then that too will be frozen until the birth of the child."

"Oh!" Meg watched him carefully for any sign of emotion, but his face was carefully blank. His eyes held hers, but all she could see in their dark depths was her reflection.

"So, in everyday terms, what exactly does that mean for us then?" She inched forward on the bed till she was kneeling beside him.

"We are technically broke." He smiled at her, but it was without humour.

"Oh." Meg frowned and sat back on her heels. "And the account in my name?"

"Your account will buy the house in Hogsmede and nothing more."

Meg frowned fiercely at their joined hands and sat back up on her knees.

"I was thinking... all the time you were gone actually. We don't need the house. We can stay here..."

"And during holidays?" He lifted one eyebrow. "I, for one, do not relish the thought of spending all my time here."

"We can't just blow the lot on a house, Severus. There are things we need to buy, things we need to put money by for..." Her voice started to rise.

"Well, your account holds twice the money you would be getting for your share of your house in Devonshire," he cut her off before she became too agitated.

"You mean buy Jack out?" she asked and sat back again. It hadn't even occurred to her.

"Yes, on one condition," he said darkly.

"What?"

"We sleep in the main bedroom and not your old room. I do not hold with climbing over the bed each night...."

"Well I...." Meg blinked as she processed the idea, "yes...I think... yes, Jack wouldn't mind I'm sure."

Snape could almost see her thoughts running through her eyes as they got brighter and brighter with the thought.

"Yes!" she finally said and clapped her hands together, "it's a great house, and the garden is just perfect for children."

Snape's eyebrows rose sharply at her use of the plural word, but he remained quiet.