Chapter 56: Friends and Family

A/N: I know...I know... too little too late as usual! But I have my reasons (smug grin) and they are at the end of this chapter! Please read this first though.... Thanks...

No beta-reader for this one so apology in advance.

___________________

Senga actually felt light hearted for the first time in what seemed years. Her face was hurting from too much laughing and smiling and she couldn't remember the last time she'd managed to eat so much Maple and Walnut Ice Cream.

She sighed as stretched out in the chair outside the Ice Cream Parlour in Diagon Alley. Sirius, Remus and Neville were sitting opposite her discussing something good naturedly. But Senga had tuned out a long time ago when it started to bore her; now she was occupied with watching the other customers and allowing herself to relax.

The pain in her heart was still there and she was slowly beginning to realise that it may never leave her. She had lost a part of herself that may never be regained and she had to learn to live with that, but days like this made it seem possible to carry on.

A sudden thought struck her and she sat up suddenly.

"How can I even be here?" she demanded cutting into their conversation which was seeing Sirius begin to get louder as he disagreed with Remus.

"What?" Neville looked at his watch. "We're okay for another hour or so; unless you want to go into some other shops."

Senga shook her head and sighed.

"No, I mean, how can I see this place? Muggles can't see it, so why can I?"

Neville looked blank for a moment as he considered her question and found himself stumped. He looked at Remus for help but it was Sirius who answered her.

"Because you're not a Muggle," he said simply and then sighed as he leaned forward, linking his hands together on the table.

"You may have no ability to create magic anymore but that's not to say that somewhere deep inside of you there aren't strands of it still."

"So I could maybe..." She stopped as Remus shook his head sadly.

"No, Senga. There's not enough left. It's like..." He stopped as he thought of an explanation. "Well, like this in a way." He pushed his empty Sundae glass forwards. "There is ice cream still on the sides, melted and only what my tongue can't reach..." He grinned at her. "But it's still there. Not enough to be full, not even enough to get a decent taste, but particles are still there."

Sirius looked at Remus strangely.

"Ice Cream? You're using Ice Cream to explain it?" he demanded incredulously.

"Well, you think of a better example," Remus shot back.

"I get it actually," Senga said slowly. "I'll never be one or the other. I'll be in the middle so to speak."

"Well...." Remus was now at a loss for words and looked at Sirius.

"No," said Neville, "Well, yes, but it doesn't matter." He changed himself.

"And that helps?" Sirius looked at Neville sceptically.

"Senga is not a Muggle; they have no magical inclination whatsoever. She's not a squib as she can't perform any sort of magic not even badly so that pretty much leaves her in the middle and I think it's kind of special." Neville blushed red and ducked his head over his glass desperately trying to spoon the bottom of his Ice Cream out.

"Yes, right." Remus nodded seemingly oblivious to Neville's reaction. "In fact I don't know anyone else like you. Magic can be performed on you, as we were perfectly able to Apparate with you, which means you'll still be able to go broomstick flying, albeit tandem, and have all the other benefits, you just won't be able to perform magic." He finished slowly.