Chapter 17: Retreating Slowly

A/N: Once again, please excuse rather lame Latin curses! I've put a few notes at the end as well. Disclaimer as always.... And I want to credit P.A.R. for making Remus a counsellor and not just wallpaper!

_____________________

Meg was comfortable; she was hugging her pillow, warm under the blankets. She was in that wonderful state between sleep and waking, when everything was alright. Only good existed in the world and it really didn't matter if she stayed there forever.

Something brushed over her nose, making it itch.

"Getorff," she mumbled and brushed her nose with her fingers, not opening her eyes.

Fingers prodded her shoulder this time, gently but firmly.

"Will you clear off," she snapped, her eyes opening this time to stare up grumpily. Snape was kneeling by the bed, his face level with hers; black eyes staring at her impatiently.

"I was beginning to think you were hibernating in there."

"I was... am... so clear off and bug some students," she grumbled and turned over presenting him with her back as she snuggled down again.

"You've slept right through breakfast and lunch; you aren't sleeping the entire day away. Poppy will see you in an hour, so get your lazy body out of that bed before I do something drastic."

"Go get a life and leave me alone," she mumbled, trying hard to ignore him prodding at her back with his finger not so gently this time.

"I have a life. You, however, seem determined to sleep yours away."

"And this concerns you because?" She gave up with a groan and sat up, pushing the hair out of her face with one hand, while glaring at him.

"Well, for one thing it's my bed you're lazing in. And while I'm not averse to having you in my bed," he grinned evilly at her. "I'd much rather you were awake and I was in there too."

"Well I'm awake now." She arched her eyebrow at him and patted the covers beside her.

"So you are." He leaned forward and gripped the covers she was holding up around her. With a quick flick he had the covers completely off her; the cold air making her cry out in shock.

"Now get out and get dressed. Poppy won't like it if you're late." He got up from his knees and without a backward glance crossed to the door that led to his study.

"I don't have a headache today, in fact I feel absolutely great; maybe all I needed was a good sleep," she called after him, getting up onto her knees.

"All you need is a good spanking; now get up before I get you up," he growled back at her darkly.

Meg grumbled and slid off the bed, wrapping his dressing gown round her, fighting off the chill from the room.

"I wouldn't feel the need to hibernate if it wasn't below freezing in here," she called to him, watching him sit at his desk.

"Just get dressed and quit stalling." He didn't look up from whatever he had on his desk.

"I'm not stalling, merely pointing out that I'm probably suffering from hypothermia. People who get too cold just end up lying down and slipping away in their sleep."

"Rest assured, Megan, that would never happen to you. You produce too much hot air from your mouth to ever run the risk of freezing to death."

"Remind me why I love you again," she huffed as she slammed into his bathroom.

He looked up at the closed door and frowned.

"I have no idea," he muttered and went back to making sure her present was exactly as he wanted it to be.