Chapter 7-More Meetings

Everything is a risk. Not doing anything is a risk. It's up to you.

I knew Jared was a man of many faces, but he actually managed to turn himself into a straight, normal person. He was dressed casually, tracksuit, t-shirt, sneakers, oversized glasses. Damn, I felt a bit overdressed right now.

Despite his distinct posture he actually looked like a regular person that you'd just walk past in the street, not even thinking that he could be a star. He had that air of 'I don't really give a fuck with what I'm dressed', that I really liked.

"Okay, let's go! To the Leto mobile."

"You know that will never become a catchphrase. It sounded bad the first time you said it and it doesn't sound too good now either."

"I know, but it's worth trying.", he said wrapping his arm round my waist, as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

I felt as if a jolt of electricity just went through my body and I jumped away startled.

"Hey, is everything okay?"

"Yes, it's just that...I'm not really used to this kind of manifestations."

"Oh, ok, sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable. I didn't mean for that to happen.", he said retracting his arm and opening the car door for me.

We spent the rest of the way in silence. I was tapping on my phone, discussing more meetings, more contracts, more responsibilities. I knew it wasn't going to be easy working for him. He was challenging, through all his simplicity. And he always kept himself busy for some reason.

Shannon and their mother were waiting for us at the back terrace of a very small and discrete Italian restaurant. I knew Jared wouldn't even touch anything off that menu, unless it's his diet approved, but I also found out from Mirka that he loved to sniff through everyone else's food quite a lot.

On some occasions, he would just pick up a fork and just dig through the all the plates, grinning and making weird expressions. In the end, everyone looked at their dishes really disgusted.

"Hello, nice to meet you Ella.", said Jared and Shannon's mother smiling warmly at me.

"The pleasure is all mine.", I replied taking a seat in between her and Jared.

I had a feeling Shannon wasn't my number one fan and I felt I had to steer myself clear from his side. I couldn't have been more right about that.

"Look who is actually pretty when she makes an effort.", said Shannon sardonically.

"Enough! I've had enough Shan! Ella, whether you like it or not, is my assistant. I expect you to respect her.", said Jared, slamming his palm on the table.

I never saw him that tense. I was perfectly capable of taking care of myself, so I blinked a couple of times looking towards him.

"Hey I'm just gonna go back to the office.", I said squeezing his arm gently, after I gained my composure.

"No...you haven't eaten a thing, plus I have something else I need a bit of help with afterwards. I don't want to make an unnecessary drive back to the office and back to collect you.", he said with a softened expression.

Their mother just looked at me and then at Jared, in particular, and then again at me. I could tell by her expression that she was well used to seeing the boys having arguments on various reasons. Finally she broke the silence.

"Ella, you look oddly familiar to me...Have we met before?"

"No, this is the first time.", I replied politely.