Chapter 25-A Lesson in Morals

The truth is that I feel alone most of the time...I stopped believing in happiness, but I know that music makes me feel good...

Jared

The second I landed on LAX airport I knew it was going to be bad. Really bad. All the decisions that I took after my birthday were horrendous. From the first decision of answering my phone. It was all a big chain of bad decisions.

Ella and Shannon kept me in the loop with what was going on in Los Angeles, while I was in Dublin messing around with Clara. I feared of calling Anka, I feared that if she answered the phone she would tell me that it was over. So I decided to prolong the agony a lot longer.

There was a catch to all that too. The next day after my birthday, I got an early call from Clara. She was crying and being desperate and asked me to take the first plane to Dublin. She played the sad card and I fell for it like an idiot.

From what she told me it turned out that her husband Luke, wasn't the calmest person in the world, nor the most honest. Truth be told Clara wasn't the most honest person either given the fact that she cheated on her husband several times with me.

But I wasn't the problem there, and clearly, her husband's infidelities weren't the problem either.

Despite that, I felt really guilty for not helping her out. Yes, that big lump of guilt that doesn't let you go until you do the right thing. So I ended up leaving to Dublin hungover and feeling like I was just about to lose my head, just to get rid of that sick feeling of guilt.

I was escorted from the airport, to a hotel not far from Grafton Street. Coincidentally, near the place we played in. Clara was waiting for me there, all cried out, her eyes and face all red. She didn't look beautiful anymore. She looked faded, and desperate.

"What's going on? What happened?", those were the first words that came out of my mouth.

At this point we didn't need any 'hellos' or other form of greetings. We were more than just a acquaintances. The hell, I banged the hell out of her!
She stood up from the bed and jumped into my arms, sobbing violently.

"Hey, hey, hey, don't cry. You'll harm the baby and yourself. Tell me what happened?", I said hugging her tightly and stroking her back in the same time.

"It was Luke. He cheated on me. And when I told him I want a divorce he did this to me!", she said lifting her sleeve high enough for me to see a bruise.

I was never a violent person by nature, especially not against women, because I knew better than that. It wasn't that bad though, it just looked like Luke pushed things a bit too far.

Still, I tried calming her down and also tried to kick back the urge of calling that little fuck face and confronting him. We started talking about what would be best for her and I also reminded her that she did the same thing with me a while back. Her reply shocked me.

"He knows about that. He found out from one of his partners in the firm. I don't know who blurted it out.", she said slowly.

"I didn't breathe out a word. I swear to god!", I said defensive.

"I know you didn't. It's not your fault. It was bound to happen. I just want a divorce now and keep on going with my own life. And raising this damn kid."

"Don't talk like that. That kid is just as much you as it is Luke."

"I never wanted this kid to begin with...ever...", she said pushing a chair with her leg.