Chapter 20-The Love of a Leto

One day you're gonna wake up next to the love of your life, and everything that happened in your life before, won't matter anymore, because you'll find the happiness that you were looking for...

Shannon

I arrived later on that afternoon only to realize that Jared still hasn't moved from her side in three days. He had a big stubble going on, and huge bags under his eyes. I started wondering how he could still function properly.

Jared spent every spare second that he had at the hospital. He was torn between work and Anka. If it wasn't him at the hospital it was either me or Ella or our mother. But he mostly spent time there. Now that Anka was pulled out of her induced coma, it was a matter of days or even weeks until she woke up. And Jared wanted to make sure he wasn't going to miss that.

I've seen Jared loving women. A lot of beautiful women, models, actresses, but I've never seen him being in love. In love with a simple girl. A girl who had nothing to do with Hollywood or fame. I had no idea when Jared slept, or when he was able to eat, but he was nearly always by her side.

The doctors put her in an induced coma, because they were well aware that she could go any second into cardiac arrest if she woke up too soon. The amount of drugs she ingested could make any drug user look like an amateur comparing to her.

If it wasn't for the tragedy itself, it would've been a funny situation. Jared being in love. Being in love with someone nearly half his age. Nearly a month has passed and Christmas was just around the corner. Jared took the liberty of decorating her salon and even bringing a little Christmas tree for her to see when she woke up.

"The doctors said she is getting better as each day passes. That it's just a matter of time until she wakes up. Do you think she will like it? The tree and everything? She never told me if she liked Christmas.", said Jared filled with hope.

"I think you have nothing to worry about.", I replied reassuringly.

"Do you think she loves me?", I heard him ask.

"I think she does. I mean, she left her home to move to Los Angeles with you. That must count for something. By the way, you never told me how the two of you met.", I said.

He looked at me and sighed. I had a feeling he didn't want to talk about it. I had a feeling that everyone knew their history but me. I wasn't far from the truth.

"We met in Tokyo. I saw her at a coffee house and I went to talk to her. She knew who I was, I was taken aback by how natural she acted. She wasn't crazed or anything by me. So naturally, I asked her out. She joked around, telling me she'd bring me nothing but trouble...", started Jared.

"Well, she was right in a way.", I pointed out.

"No, this...this is the least of my troubles...she was an escort Shannon. And I saved her life. I took her away from her pimp. I bought her freedom.", continued Jared.

I looked at Jared not knowing if he was joking or not. In my eyes Anka had no erotic bone, but then again it's the quiet ones that surprise you in the end.

"No, seriously, it's true. I bought her freedom off for a million dollars.", said Jared unfazed.

"I knew we are crazy, but you took crazy to a next level. Sorry to break it to you.", I replied in return.

"You wanna know the funny thing? We didn't have sex for the first six months. Whenever I bought her an expensive gift or took her to that gala, she would just have a sad look on her face. Whenever I would get her a cheap thing from a shop she would be excited about it. She isn't in it for the money Shan. She isn't."