Chapter 22 - Mouth Runner

Dear Readers,
I do apologize for slow updates. Thank you for understanding and continuing to read The Popular Couple. I realize now, looking over all the chapters, that I first started this story in 2014. I didn't realize that I had taken that long to write out this story. I'm sorry for my busy life and partial lack of motivation. None of us are perfect. 
Here's chapter 22:

Louis' POV

Today marked two weeks of being suspended as football captain. I had to miss our first playoff game, but luckily we won. (Idk how many there are, lets pretend there's 3 and then the championship) It was going to be hard to resist the urge to beat Zayn's face in at practice, but as long as Harry is there I'll be fine. We were on our way to school, and I was ready to show everyone who I've fallen for.

"So I'm sitting with you at lunch today?" I asked, as I pulled into the school parking lot.

Harry smiled, "I would love that."

"Good, if I sit with Zayn and Eleanor I'll get another suspension."

"I can't believe she cheated on you with someone who was your best friend." Harry thought aloud.

"Me neither. All this time I thought Zayn's comments about El were a joke. But he was actually hinting at what was going on." I said. "The worst part is, I put my dick in the same place Zayn did."

"Yeah, I just hope they leave you alone." Harry said.

"It's Zayn Malik and Eleanor Calder, two people who refuse to leave things in the past."

I parked my car, and turned it off.

"C'mon, let's go show them the diamond I managed to swoop up." I said, opening my door.

"What diamond?"

"I'm talking about you, Harry." I said, with a chuckle.

"Ohhhh." he said in realization. "Thank you."

I grabbed his hand and started to walk towards the doors. I couldn't believe what Eleanor and Zayn did, yet I was thankful for it. I was finally with the person I belonged with. The emotions I felt with Harry were starting to surface, and my relationship with Eleanor probably wouldn't have lasted anyways. Her being in my life just blinded me from seeing that I should be with Harry. I was so lucky that he wanted to be with me.

I grabbed the handle of the door, and pulled it open, letting Harry walk in first. We walked down the hallway towards his locker, and everyone was already staring at us. I knew that would happen the moment we walked in, but it didn't bother me.

"Everyone is staring." Harry mumbled.

"Does it make you uncomfortable?"

"Kind of," Harry said as he sighed.

"What, you've never seen people hold hands before?" I shouted, as we walked down the halls. The moment I opened my mouth, people averted their eyes to the floor. We arrived at Harry's locker, and I let go of his hand to let him get his things.

"Hey," Liam said, walking up to us. "I heard about you two."

"We've been here for five minutes and everyone knows." Harry muttered, shutting his locker.

"It's kind of a big deal to people that last night the school's favorite couple broke up, but it's an even bigger deal that Louis is now with you." Liam stated. "I've had a few people ask me already, I'm your best friend they think I'll tell them what's going on."

"People are so nosy." I said. "All that matters is that I never belonged with Eleanor, and Harry is the one who made me realize that."

Harry smiled at me after I said that.

***

Lunch time rolled around, and I got in the line after Harry, since we were in different classes. I got my food, and walked over to his table. I sat next to him, and him and Liam were conversing about some chemistry topic. How did I manage to end up with such a nerd??

"Is it pure covalent or non-covalent?"

"Covalent, obviously-"

"I'm sorry to ruin your conversation," I butted in, "but I have no idea what any of the words coming out of your mouths mean."

Harry smiled at me. "It's okay, Lou." he said.

"Hey, look who's staring at you." Liam said, nodding his head behind me.

I turned around to see the entire table I used to sit at watching my every move. Once Zayn noticed I was looking, he put his hand on Eleanor. 

I looked away and turned to Harry. "Does Zayn seriously think that shit is going to bother me?"

"I just hope he leaves you alone." Harry stated.

"He better." I replied. "And he better not touch a single hair on your pretty little head."

"You guys are going to make me puke." Liam said.

I laughed. That was something all three of us were going to have to get used to. I should've known that Harry was the one for me the moment I found out how he felt about me. I guess I had the image of Eleanor and I hammered into my head so much because it was how I became who I am now. But ending up in Harry's arms makes me wonder if any of it was worth it, or if it was a pathetic waste of time.

***

I walked into the locker room, ready to show everyone who their true captain was, since I was back. I couldn't wait to take that back from Zayn. He can have Eleanor all he wants, but he'll never get my captain position permanently. 

A few guys acknowledged me as I walked in, some saying hey, some giving me high fives. My team seemed to be happy that I was back to fulfill my spot.

"Tomlinson," a voice rang behind me. I turned around to see no one other than Zayn. "I hope you know our team did a lot better during your suspension. You should feel lucky that coach didn't make your suspension permanent."

"You're full of shit Zayn." Niall said, sitting on the bench tying his shoe. "You could never replace Louis."

"Shut up, Niall."

"Everyone here knows I'm a better captain than you. That's why I'm the real one, remember?" I said.

"Oh yeah, if you're so much better than me, then how come your girl is in my arms now?" Zayn asked. If he keeps running his mouth, he's about to swallow his own teeth.

I didn't say anything, and kept putting my gear for practice on.

"Don't have an answer, huh?" Zayn pushed it. "Remember how I'm the reason you and Eleanor ended up together. Well the entire time we were fucking behind your back. Isn't that just hilarious?" by now he had a huge grin on his face, and I was clenching my fists.

"Shut up, Zayn." I said.

"What, you don't like hearing the truth?"

"Do you want to walk out of this locker room with all of your teeth or not?" I questioned.

"Oooh, our big captain is getting angry." Zayn stated. "You won't do shit. You probably had a crush on me all this time anyway, since you're with that fag waterboy." 

The second the word fag came out of Zayn's mouth I lunged at him. He tried to fight back, but I was too angry for him to get a chance. I started throwing punches at his face, busting his lip. I should've expected this out of Zayn.

"Louis stop," Niall said, trying to pull me off. "Don't let Zayn get to you." 

After a few more punches, I got up off of him. I took a step away from him, as the locker room door opened.

"Tomlinson, Malik, in my office." Coach said, as he stood in the doorway, seeing Zayn lying on the floor.

___________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading my story that has taken so long to get this far. Ugh I hate being someone who doesn't update enough. Life is just too busy....

-Amanda Styles [7/2/17]