Prologue

Two seconds ago my life as an eleven-year-old was bright, cheerful, and full of fun. Walking up to the front door of my house, I have a feeling that sunny life is about to become gloomy as something just doesn't feel right. Mama's car is in the driveway but every single light in the house is off. The moment I step foot in the house I got a chill throughout my entire body. As I am setting my backpack down I hear some shuffling in Mama's office and a rush of relief calms my young, erratically beating heart.

I let myself relax and walk toward Mama's office, ready to tell her about my day at school. As I walk down the long hallway and turn the corner to her office, I stop dead in my tracks among a horrific scene in front of me. A man dressed in all black and wearing a ski mask is writing something on a piece of paper at Mama's desk. As terrified as I am, I force my eyes to travel to Mama's lifeless body. She's hunched over in her chair, her body laying over her desk with a huge gash draining blood from her wrist.

Frozen in fear, I don't dare to move. I barely even breathe, terrified that if I do the man will kill me too. The man leaves the pen and paper on the desk and sprints from the room. I want or scream or do anything but I can't move, I can't speak, I can't cry. I can't process a single thought as I feel the light leave my own eyes. Maybe it's my soul wanting to join Mama's wherever it is but I can't be sure.

Daddy comes home after what feels like an eternity, snapping me out of my shocked state. He picks me up and runs outside, talking to 911 on the phone. Now out of shock, the situation hits me hard and tears start to flow from my eyes, soaking my face and Daddy's shirt. We stay like this until the police arrive. The blue and red flashing lights bring unwanted attention to our home and I cling on to Daddy for dear life as we're escorted into the black police suburban.

Daddy hasn't said a word and I think it's because he is trying to be strong for me. But I want him to talk to me, I want him to grieve as I am. I want to get through this together. I try to tell this to him but no sound comes out so I keep my head on his shoulder and wait for something to happen. We sit in the suburban in deafening silence. When I see them carry Mama out in a body bag I cringe and look up to Daddy. His eyes are trained on the floor of the suburban, unmoving.

"Daddy?" I startle him as I sit up.

"Yes, Princess," he doesn't say it like a question but like a statement.

"It's okay to cry, Daddy. I can't go through this alone but I don't need you to do it for me either. We have to do this together," I stare a hole into the side of his face, silently begging him to look at me.

When he looks at me, I see the lack of light in his eyes as they fill with tears. I'm sure my eyes look the same right about now; lifeless and full of sorrow.

"Okay Princess. We'll get through this together," he struggles to get the words out.

I lean my head back onto his shoulder and let the tears flow until there are no more. I feel Daddy's ragged breathing and feel the pain he feels. I just lost my mother but he just lost his wife. They were high school sweethearts, my mom and dad. They loved each other to the ends of the earth and they never failed to show me what it was like. The way they looked at each other, no matter what situation we were in, was enough to show anybody paying attention that their bond was inseparable. Now Daddy will have to go on living without the love of his life and that breaks my heart into a million pieces. Daddy has always been strong for all of us. Now it's my turn to be strong for him.

It feels like an hour has passed before three officers hop into the suburban. The woman in the driver's seat speaks into the radio microphone back and forth with another officer for a few minutes before turning in her seat to face us.

"I know there is nothing any of us can say to change what happened or the state of emotion y'all are in but I would like to say I am very sorry for your loss and I assure you we are going to do everything possible to get justice for your wife and your family," the blonde officer offers her condolences, sincerity in her voice and her eyes.

"Thank you," I manage to squeeze out those two measly words but I mean them from the bottom of my heart.

I look out the window of the suburban and notice the massive crowd of people, our neighbors, surrounding our yard. The worry on their faces scares me and comforts me at the same time. These people have been a huge part of my life from the time I was born. We're all close here in Timpson, Texas. There aren't very many of us so everyone in the town knows each other. I know that these people are going to be waiting for us, to comfort us and help us in our most trying time. That's our family out there.

I feel the suburban start to back up and I force my eyes away from the window as we back out of our long driveway. Daddy has his arm wrapped around me and squeezes me, and I squeeze him back. I let the tears fall one more time as we drive away from our home, leaving Mama behind. The suburban is safe and hopefully it will take us to a better place; a better life.