Chapter 15: Aiden

Aurora was clearly upset today at practice and it bothered me to no end. She tried to run away from me but I wasn't having it. Aurora has been so strong for so long, she has this mindset that if she cries, or she lets her guard down it makes her weak. I practically had to force her to look at me and when she did, her blue eyes were like sparkling sapphires and tears were falling from them. Even when she's crying, she's breathtakingly beautiful.

After practice, she told me about her ex and I wanted to put her in protective custody. She got pissed at me for wanting to protect her because she thinks she can take care of herself. I know she can, but I want to protect her. I got pissed because she was being stubborn. We started raising our voices, arguing with each other over her protection but as it went on, I controlled my voice and made her stop being so stubborn.

As I sit on my bed, I stare at my phone and wait for a text or a call, or something from her like she promised. I don't know what I'm going to do. I have to protect her, it's burning inside me to make sure she's okay.

"Dinner is ready, Aiden," Mom calls through the speaker.

I let out a huge sigh and trek down the stairs to the dining room where Mom and Dad are sitting. Giovanni sets a plate of food in front of me and all I can do is stare at it. I sit there and a poke around it with my fork but I can't focus on eating right now. My leg is bouncing under the table, my nerves on edge because Aurora is in every part of my mind right now.

"What's wrong with you, son?" Dad gives me a look.

"Nothing. I'm just not hungry," I check my phone again but Aurora's name still isn't present on the screen.

"You're lying. What's wrong?" Mom demands.

"It's just a long story."

"We've got time," Dad assures, not taking my hint to drop it.

"When Aurora was in Texas, she found out her now ex was cheating. When she confronted him about it, he hit her. Well she retaliated and put him in the hospital."

"Good for her. I'm still not sure why you're on edge," Dad says.

"He was just released from the hospital last night. Aurora's best friend called her and told her that he's been telling people that he's looking for her and that he plans to harm her," I stand up and start to pace back and forth.

"We'll put her in protective custody," Dad pulls out his phone to start making calls but I stop him.

"She'll never go for that. We already got into an argument over me trying to help her. She won't allow me to put her into protective custody."

"Well son she has to!" Mom is starting to get upset.

"She won't, Mom. I know that she won't. I just know."

"So what do you suppose we do?"

"WE are not going to do anything. I am going to do whatever I have to in order to keep her safe. She's my girlfriend, and I want to be the one to help her," I run one of my hands through my hair, frustrated.

"Aiden, do you love her?" Mom asks, eyes wide.

I don't have time to answer her because my phone rings, Aurora's name appearing on the screen.

"Hey, are you okay?" I answer her FaceTime call, leaving the dining room and going upstairs.

"I'm okay. Dad didn't take it well, as expected. He wants to put me in protective custody," she sighs.

"It's a good idea. My dad wants to do the same for you. He has connections, you know."

"You told your parents?"