Chapter 8

I arrived home at the same time as I normally would, Will wasn't home yet, and I pushed away the bad thoughts. He was more than likely still working, over time or something.

I made some chicken, I scoped a plate for Will leaving it on the counter and brought my plate to my room. I ate looking at the text book I brought home the other day. I found myself daydreaming and smiling stupidly as I thought about today.

I missed Avery's company more than anything else. I sighed laying back on my bed, covering my face with my pillow.

I was thinking about his amazing smile, and the warm feeling I got when I held his hand, when I fell asleep with a smile on my face.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I shoved my books into my bag, with a granola bar dangling from my mouth, as I reached down the readjust my shoe. I ran a hand through my hair throwing my bag over my shoulder, and took a bite of granola. I ran out of the apartment locking it.

I was running later than usual, I fell asleep without setting my alarm and well, you get the point.

I smiled when I noticed him, once again he was waiting for me. “Are you actually going to take me to school today?” I asked him crossing my arms over my chest, glaring playfully.

He smirked, “Was yesterday that bad?”

“No.” I said quickly and he chuckled, “It was great. But I really need to go to school today.”

He nodded, “Lucky for you, I do too.”

I laughed and he opened the door for me.

He drove me to school today, but he took the long way around.

“Your face,” He laughed, “Priceless.”

I laughed too, it was contagious, “Stop, you said you were taking me to school.” I tried regaining my annoyance, it was no use, I couldn't be mad at him.

“I am. Settle down.” He chuckled.

“Don't scare me like that.” I warned him, looking out the window to hide the smile I was wearing.

“Why is school so important to you?” He asked, the smile fell off my face and whipped my head to face him.

“I-I,” I tried, but my voice caught. He reached over and took my hand in his, inter lacing our fingers. I pushed the tears away. “I don't want to leave my brother.”

“Why? Where are your parents?”

“My brother, Will adopted me after our parents died.” His eyes flashed to mine.

“Valarie I-I,” I shook my head.

“It's fine but I have another reason.” he looked confused as he pulled into the lot parking and turning to face me. “I have another brother and a little sister.”

“I don't understand.”

“Will just turned 18, the state doesn't think he can care for all three of us. So we have to prove them wrong, that's why school is so important to me.”

“Is there anything I can do to help?”

“Make sure I go to school. This means no skipping entire days.” I told him winking.

“Valarie you should have told me yesterday. I wouldn't have took you out of school then.” He shook his head running his hand through his hair, glaring at the dashboard in frustration.

“It's fine. We didn't get caught right?” I laughed, placing my hand on his face.

He turned to me and smiled. “Just tell me if I ever put getting your family back in jeopardy.”

I nodded, “lets get to class. I don't want to be late.”

He laughed and got out, I placed my hand on the handle but it was already being opened. “We isn't someone the gentleman.”

He shrugged, “You like those too?”

I smiled, “Indeed I do.”