Just another man down.

(tw)
Episode 27

Scott sat alone in his room, his world seemingly crumbling around him. Everything he thought he knew had shattered, and he was left alone among the shrapnel and shards of the past.  Any ounce of normalcy had blown away in the wind like a thin layer of dust while Scott remained stunned and silent, sitting in darkness.

Trying to form a coherent thought, his body began to tremble. No tears were falling, but his breathing was ragged and shallow. He felt a deep soreness and sorrow in the pit of his stomach, but still he was silent. Staring into the dark corners of his room, he started to feel the darkness in his mind, like the walls were collapsing onto him. He could not see; he could barely breathe. Confusion and anger started to give way to emptiness as tearless sobs overtook his being.

There was no one to whom he could talk about this. Everyone he held dear was a part of this maelstrom of betrayal. He knew that Mitch and Avi had developed passion for one another; he sat aside as the drama progressed between Kirstie, Kevin, and Esther. Meanwhile, he did not even know if Avi was alive. Nothing could ever be the same again, and this terrified him without mercy.

He felt himself becoming numb and hollow as the last shred of reality slipped from his failing grasp.  He knew what he had to do, but he was scared: scared to let go, scared to regret, and scared to be forgotten. Already, he felt he had been forgotten. As everything became a vortex around him, he had remained stationary, passed over endlessly by the one storm he wanted to catch.

He could feel the hollowness eating away at him, like he was becoming a fragile shell just ready to break. No matter what, he knew that would happen. It was just a matter of what broke this shell. He was unsure if he should break it himself or wait until it was inevitably broken by the turbulent forces surrounding him.

Deep down, he knew. Deep down in the empty pit that had just recently carried so much life and happiness, he knew. The hollowness ate away at him even more, thinning the shell that remained. He knew.

As the darkness closed in, silence echoed throughout the apartment. Everyone else was asleep. The storm was calm for now, but Scott was more than aware that the tempest would resume its warpath very soon. It was his choice whether or not he wanted to ride out the storm or take shelter in the surest way possible.

At last a tear fell and slowly glided down his cheek. He was aware of the bottle of pills on his nightstand, and he began to feel a sense of peace flowing from it. He had the choice of how many to take. It could be enough to wait for the storm to rise, or it could be enough to end everything.

He grabbed the bottle, and silence resounded throughout.