Chapter I

"Come on Emalie! We're going to be late for Jackson's hockey practice!" My mom yelled up to me. 

"I'm coming hang on!" I had to grab my AP homework to do at the ice rink but I couldn't find a pencil. "Mom! Do you have a pencil?" I yelled down. 

"No. But if you don't hurry up they'll pencil Jackson's name off the team!" She yelled back. I laughed a little. Then I sighed and grabbed my backpack and ran down the stairs. 

Once we all got situated in the car I looked over to my mom, "They can't kick him off the team. He's their best goalie. He's like Carey Price but better." I laughed. 

"I guess you're right." My mom smiled a little from the corner of her mouth. 

"I don't take that as a compliment," I heard Jackson say from the backseat, "Montreal just lost to Columbus 10-0. Are you saying I'm a bad goalie, Em?" He said with the most serious face.  

"No, I'm just saying each goalie has their good days and their bad days. That's all." I replied. 

"Is that why you bash Fleury all the time?" He smirked. 

"No. I do not bash  Fleury, I just see and announce when and where he made a mistake." I replied proudly. 

My mom sighed, "You know so much about hockey. Why don't you play?" 

"Mom, we've been over this I can't skate to save my life," I said quietly and shook my head. 

"Well, neither could Jackson when he started out. He fell every twenty seconds. Look at him now." Mom said high fiving Jackson, as we pulled into the rink.  

"He's also been playing for however many years. I'm eighteen years old. I'm not going to be able to play in college. Or in the Olympics. Because we all know women aren't good enough to play majorly." I said the last at part with every once of sarcasm I had. 

"I don't mean playing big. I mean playing for the hell of it." She replied. I sighed and got out to help Jackson carry his gear. I lightly tapped the back of his head with his stick to make him move faster.