Chapter 8

When they were gone Hermione sighed and went looking for the books.

'Etiquette for Dummies', she read. She giggled and put it aside. Nobody in this world expected nice table manners from a mudblood anyway.

'Dark Magic and How to find It' was the next one. "Useful", she mused, putting it on the bed.

'The Tales of Beedle The Bard'. It looked like a fairytale book, so she put it aside too.

'Quidditch through the ages'. She rolled her eyes.

The last one looked like a very old book. When she took it out, she gasped. 'Hogwarts a History' lay in her hands. Carefully she sat on the bed and opened it.

"Of course", she mused, "Leave it to a Malfoy to have a first edition lying around."

She didn't leave the bed for the rest of the hour, sipping on her pumpkin juice. When she came at the chapter about the food and the kitchen she jerked up, almost spilling juice on the bed. She hoped Draco would be back soon because she just had an epiphany leading to a wide array of options.

***********

Draco was hurrying down the hallway once again, with Crabbe and Goyle right by his side.

Suddenly someone stepped right in his path. He suppressed a string of very nasty curse words.

"Mr. Malfoy", Snape said coldly, "What a pleasant... surprise."

"Headmaster", Draco nodded stiffly.

"Do come in for a moment Mr. Malfoy, I wish to discuss something."

Snape held open the door of his office. Draco had no choice but to walk inside. When Crabbe and Goyle moved to follow him, Snape blocked their way and closed the door behind him.

Draco sat down casually in the chair across from the desk. Silently Snape observed his cocky demeanour, but he couldn't find anything different about him.

"So", Draco drawled, "Congratulations on becoming our new headmaster."

Snape smirked and sat down in his chair.

"Thank you", Snape answered. "I... had hoped The Dark Lord would leave me with someone better than the Carrows. Of course He needs his best people at the Ministry, but I just hope they'll actually be able to teach more than they torture."

Draco nodded indifferently.

"I heard you chose Miss Granger as your prize", Snape drawled.

Draco tensed a bit.

"I did", Draco smirked, "She just... fell into my hands. The Dark Lord doesn't have any better use for mudbloods. She's safe in my room."

"Safe you say", Snape said sceptical, "Willingly?"

"Not quite", Draco frowned, "But she can't do much without a wand."

Snape stared at him like he wanted to look through him. Draco shielded his mind, just in case he was trying Legilimacy to read him.

"Your father told me he would come by every now and then. So will your uncles Lestrange."

Draco paled a bit and wondered briefly how much Snape suspected or knew.

"I understand", he said softly.

Snape nodded and stood to let Draco out. Crabbe and Goyle were waiting on the corner.

"Come on", he mumbled.

***********

Draco entered the common room after sending his friends of to the dungeon cells.