Chapter 43

Draco brought Hermione back to the house.

"Are you sure you can apparate across the sea?", she asked him a little nervous. "It takes a great deal of strength and concentration."

"I'll be fine", he told her, "It's not that far and it doesn't make a difference if you're apparating across land or across the sea."

"Let me come with you", she said.

"No Sweetheart", he answered, "Stay here. I don't know what state Theo will be in and I know for a fact that if it's bad, he won't want you to see him like that."

"Okay", she huffed, "For Theo. But if you're not back in thirty minutes, I'll come and find you!"

"Deal", he smiled, kissing her on the lips. "I'm walking back to the beach and I'll apparate from there. See you in half an hour."

"Be careful", she called after him when he left the house.

Hermione knew she had to keep her mind busy. She started to whip up some cookie batter and while the cookies baked, she went upstairs to make a bed in the second bedroom for Theo. Just to stall, she did it without magic.

When she came back in the kitchen, Draco had been gone 25 minutes. She took the cookies out of the oven to cool down and decided to make some hot chocolate.

The door behind her opened right after she turned off the stove. She spun around and saw Draco walk in, followed by Theo.

"Theo, I'm so glad you're here!", she exclaimed and ran past Draco to fling her arms around Theo's neck.

He reacted a bit surprised, not used to such display of affection, but quickly hugged her back.

"Happy to see you too Princess", he said. When he saw Draco's face he grinned and hugged Hermione a little tighter.

"It smells wonderful in here Sweetheart", Draco said, effectively gaining her attention.

"I had to keep myself busy", she smiled, letting go of Theo and turning around to him. "So I made some cookies and hot chocolate."

"Great! Let's see how they taste", he said, slapping Theo on his back.

Hermione saw him wince slightly and narrowed her eyes. Something wasn't right.

"Take off your shirt Theo", she said in a way that would have made Molly Weasley proud.

"What?", Theo said, his voice raising a bit higher in a panic. "You can't ask me that in front of your boyfriend Princess."

She rolled her eyes at his attempt to stall.

"Don't test me Theo", she snapped, ignoring the fact that Theo had just called Draco her boyfriend.

Draco stood to the side, not knowing where Hermione was going with this, but he knew her well enough to see she had her reasons.

"Better get it over with mate", he said to Theo. "She won't let it go."

Theo glared at Draco but finally complied. When he turned around Hermione couldn't help but gasp and even Draco felt a bit sick.

"Happy now?", Theo asked angrily, masking his shame with rage.

"What happened?", she asked, trying to keep her voice neutral.

"This Princess", he answered a bit gruffly, "Is what happens if you're from an ancient pureblood family and don't obey your father's wishes."

His back was covered in bruises, gashes and burns in various stages of healing.

"You should have told me Theo", Draco interrupted.

"You have enough on your plate already", Theo told him.

"You're part of the Order Theo", Draco snapped at him, "And you're my friend. I take care of what's mine. You're staying with me until we return to Hogwarts."

"My father will never allow it."

"Yes, he will", Hermione said. "You're staying at the Manor in preparation of becoming a Death Eater, he'll be fine with it. Draco can vouch for you."

Draco shrugged. He hadn't even thought that far, but her reasoning was fast and impeccable as always. Nobody could argue with that.

"And what if they actually decide to brand me?"

"I'll tell them you're not ready", Draco answered. "And if they still want to go through with it, we'll worry about it then."

Theo looked like he was about to break down and cry.

"I think I still have some healing cream", Hermione said tactfully, "I'll go get it."

She walked to her bag, lingering a bit to give Theo some extra time to compose himself again. When she returned, they were sitting at the table quietly.

"Found it", she said awkwardly, "Do you..."

"I'll help him Sweetheart", Draco said. "You go bring his things to the bedroom."

She gave him a light smile and handed over the tin.

"I think I'm going to read for a bit", she told them. "Enjoy the cookies and chocolate."

Without another word she levitated Theo's bag and left the room. Draco's eyes followed her until she closed the door.

"She's really special, isn't she?", Theo asked, eying him carefully.

"Yes, I know..."

"Too bad she's not a pureblood", he mused. "You know you can never be a real couple right?"

"Yes, I know...", Draco answered again, the melancholy obvious in his voice.

"Does she know?"

"She does", he answered, "But she's not giving up on us, not yet. She's a Gryffindor through and through. However, she's a smart girl. She will realise that whatever this is, we are over the minute she's back with her friends."

***********

Hermione woke up from a stumble in the hallway. She noticed Draco sleeping soundly next to her. Quietly she took her wand and tiptoed to the door.

"What are you doing?", she whispered when she saw Theo sitting on the floor, his arms around his knees.

Theo gave a little jump and looked up to her.

"I couldn't sleep", he mumbled. "Listening to you breath calms me, makes me feel like I'm back in our dorm in Hogwarts."

"Come sleep with us", she answered on a whim.

"With you?", he asked hesistently.

"The bed is big enough", she shrugged. "I don't know why Malfoys like their beds to be big enough to fit at least six people. Just grab your blanket and join in."

"What about Draco, are you sure he wouldn't mind?"

"Let me handle him. Now come to bed", she ordered.

Hermione turned around and settled back in the bed. Unconsciously Draco sensed her presence and rolled over, flinging his arm across her stomach. A few moments later Theo crawled into the bed on her other side with his own sheets and pillow.

"Princess?", he whispered.

"Hm?"

"Thank you..."

"Goodnight Theo..."