Chapter 51

The rest of the days in the Manor proved to be quite uneventful. Hermione had thrown herself on studying and training with Theo and Blaise while Draco went to meetings.

There was only one dinner party left before they could leave and for that, they were all thankful. Hermione had their trunks packed and ready for Hogwarts days before.

"I'll be glad when we're back in the castle tomorrow", she mumbled as she plucked an invisible speck of dust from Draco's tie.

"Me too", he answered, caressing the side of her face gently. "I'll be even more glad when this dinner is over. Believe me when I say that dining with The Dark Lord is pretty nerve-racking."

"Be careful Love", she said, pulling his face down for a kiss, "I'll be waiting for you."

He smiled and nipped her lips gently one last time before turning around and leaving for dinner.

***********

Hours later Draco returned trembling. Without a word he walked past the bed and into the bathroom. Hermione sat up a little dazed and hurried after him when she heard him heave.

She found him leaning onto the sink, breathing heavily.

"Draco", she said walking over to him, "What happened?"

Slowly he turned around and gathered her in his arms. He pushed his face against her hair and her scent soothed him until he was calm enough to speak.

"Do you remember the Muggle Studies professor?", he asked, his voice a little shaky.

"Professor Burbage? Yes, I took her class, but I dropped it due to conflicting schedules", she answered, wondering where this was going.

"The Dark Lord had her...", he said stammering, "He had her suspended over the table. He said she was polluting our minds and that she was encouraging mating with muggles."

"Oh no...", she whispered, looking up at him.

"Snape was there...", he continued, "She... She begged him to save her, but he did nothing. He just... Sat there and watched... Watched The Dark Lord kill her and... And feed her to the snake..."

"Snake?", she asked.

"His pet snake Nagini", he confirmed.

Hermione said nothing, but just held him, her arms wrapped around his waist.

"You can't keep doing this Draco", she said when they were in bed some time later. "It's tearing you up."

"I can't quit Sweetheart", he answered, "But I'll be glad when we're out of here. I hope we can stay there until summer."

"Me too", she confirmed, nuzzling her nose into his chest.

***********

Lucius had deemed it better for them to take a portkey to Hogsmeade and the carriage to Hogwarts from there. Hermione found herself surrounded by Draco, Theo and Blaise, barely able to see where she walked. She was a little annoyed as she had hoped to see some of her friends. The trip went without incident and Draco immediately brought her to their room.

"Greg", he greeted upon entry, "Vince."

"Hello", Hermione said to them, smiling.

Seeing Draco and the others greet each other made her realise again how much she missed her own friends. That feeling made her make up her mind.

"Draco", she called, interrupting their chatter, "I want to see Ginny."

"You can't", he answered, walking over to her.

"I can", she said pigheaded, balling her fists in anger, "And I will."

She was sick and tired of him telling her what she could and couldn't do.

"It's too dangerous", he growled, "You have to stay here."

"Do I now", she hissed, poking his chest, "And what makes you think I would take orders from you?"

Draco was a little confused about what had gotten into her so suddenly, but he wasn't one to back down.

"I don't know", he sneered, hiding his own insecurity, "The fact that everyone thinks you're my whore?"

He didn't even see it coming when she slapped him in the face. Hard. She saw a red handprint form on his pale cheek. Slowly he turned his face back to meet her eyes.

With a growl he turned away from her and stalked out the door. A shoe hit the floor and her gaze snapped to the others.

"I have to do... That thing", Blaise mumbled, hurrying out, "Bye!"

"Me too", Theo said, following his friends. Vince and Greg didn't even bother to think up an excuse and left with the others.

Hermione let her breath escape in a huff. With it, she felt the anger leave her body and the guilt sneaked in. She realised Draco hadn't meant to insult her, he just wanted her to face the facts.

However, that didn't change the fact that she wanted to see Ginny. No, she needed to see her. She would explain it to him later. And apologize. She picked up her cloak and had Dobby apparate her to the 6th year Gryffindor girls bathroom.

***********

Hermione installed herself in the first toilet booth and waited for Ginny to arrive. She remembered that her little friend preferred to use the shower late in the evening, after everyone else was already asleep.

Sighing she wished that she had taken a book, but she didn't want to be caught dead popping back over for one.

Her stomach started to growl while she tried to keep herself entertained by practicing her wandless magic. She heard girls enter the bathroom and leave again as the hours passed by, but still no Ginny.

It had been at least half an hour since the last girl left and Hermione was ready to give up. She sighed and stood, almost missing the click of the bathroom door opening. Quietly she peered through the crack of the door, relieved to see her friend entering.

"Ginny", she all but whispered, opening the booth. "It's me."

"Hermione...", she said, disbelief obvious in her voice. "Where did we sleep the evening before Hogwarts one year ago?"

"We didn't sleep", she chuckled, "I spent the night checking everything for everyone in the Burrow and you trailed after me, asking me to please come to bed so Harry wouldn't see the bags under your eyes."

"It's really you", she grinned, dropping everything to give her a proper hug.

"Let's sit", she answered, "We've got a lot to talk about before I go back to Malfoy."