Chapter 27

"Merlin, that was close", Hermione huffed as they walked back into their room. Now that they had gotten back safely and the task was done, now that she had time to think about what they did, she was totally freaking out.

"Hmmm", Draco mumbled, "You blushed very cute just then. Makes me wonder how far it goes."

He attempted to look down her shirt, but she batted his hands away.

"Stop it Draco", she snapped. "What if the others can't make it back? What if they get caught? What if Neville gets caught? What if..."

Draco cut her off by pushing his lips against hers, acting on instinct. She struggled for a bit until he pulled her hair loose from the braid and twisted his fingers into it. Finally she let go of the stress and sunk into his touch, his tongue caressing against hers.

"Better?", he asked.

She huffed and blushed again. Draco's eyes darkened with lust, but she was saved by the others barging in the room.

"I am so not doing that again!", Theo exclaimed.

"Me neither", said Vince, "I'm still shitting bricks. I'm definitely not a Gryffindor."

"You were all great", Hermione said, "Thanks for the help. The only bravery you'll have to do in the near future is your last exam."

"Yeah", Blaise said flopping down on his bed, "Definitely going to need courage for that. Goodnight everyone!"

After they all went to bed Hermione lay staring at the ceiling, lost in thought.

"Need me to help you get out of your head again Sweetheart?", Draco asked observing her.

"I'm fine", she sighed in response.

"Really?", he drawled, "Then why do you look like you're constipated or something?"

"I'm worried", she muttered, fiddling with her fingers. She felt a little silly talking about it, but she trusted him not to laugh.

"About your friends?"

"That too", she said, "But mostly about my exams. What if I can't live up to my name? What if you're taking all that risk of getting me there every day for nothing? What if..."

Draco kissed her.

"You were doing it again Sweetheart", he said after successfully cutting off her thoughts. "You have to stop with the what if, especially if you can't do anything about it. Sometimes you just have to live to know."

"I know I have the tendency to think too much..."

"You really do. But I'll try my best to always be there to pull you out of your head."

Hermione sighed and curled up against his side with her head up on his chest. She loved to snuggle up to him like that. It made her feel calm and secure.

"Don't make promises you can't keep Love."

Draco felt a twinge of fear in his heart for the day she left him, for he knew it was a question of when and not if.

"Don't think about it just yet Sweetheart. For now, I'm here with you."

Hermione closed her eyes and listened to his steady heartbeat underneath her ear. With that calming sound she fell asleep.

***********

The next morning she woke well rested and full of courage, despite of her doubts the night before. Silently she left the bed, got dressed and transfigured Draco's trunk into a desk. She pulled out her books and started studying.

About an hour later Draco woke up. Without looking he reached for Hermione, his morning wood more than ready for a quick shag before they had to start studying. When he couldn't find her his eyes popped open. He opened up the curtains in a panic, looking around frantically. When he saw her it took a few heartbeats to register, but gradually he calmed down. He didn't think he'd ever been startled like that in his life. She sat with her back to him, her hair up in a messy bun. She wore a pair of dark green shorts and one of his favourite Quidditch t-shirts.

Silently he walked up to her and she gave a little schriek of surprise as his teeth latched onto his earlobe and his arms wrapped around her.

"Draco...", she breathed, turning to him on her chair.

"You gave me a fright when I couldn't find you in our bed", he muttered.

"Draco", she said again, pushing him away a little to look him in the eye, "You didn't think I would leave without telling you right?"

He felt a little embarrassed and looked down at his feet.

"I wouldn't do that, I promise", she whispered, tilting up his chin to kiss him softly. "I just wanted to study, the following days will be hard. You should go study too, you have your final exam tomorrow."

"Only for you Sweetheart", he said, "And that reward I really want to win tonight."

He kissed her once more and went off to wake the others. A few minutes later they were all out the door.

***********

Hermione spent the whole day studying, barely taking time to eat or go to the bathroom.

Draco had to ask for his test as he came in after dinner. A few hours later he handed it back to her.

"Everything right", she told him skimming through his answers, "Congratulations Love."

He smiled and kissed her excitedly.

"Draco", she said pushing him off, "I really can't do this right now. I still have to study three more chapters before the end of the day."

"But, what about my reward?", he pouted.

"Tell you what", she said pushing a strand of hair from his face, "If you wait until after my exams, I'll give you carte blanche."

"Anything I want?", he asked. He was a little baffled, but didn't let it show.

"Anything I'm capable of", she promised, "but don't make me regret it?"

"You won't regret it", he answered with twinkling eyes. "However, I have one more condition."

"Which is?"

"Come to bed with me."

She looked at him and opened her mouth to protest.

"Every night, come to bed with me", he interrupted her. "I don't care if you keep studying, I just want to feel your body against mine."

"Deal Mr. Malfoy", she smiled, giving him her hand.

She picked up her notes and followed him to bed.