Chapter 38

Hermione took some sandwiches and apple juice out of her bag while Draco cleaned the table.

"Don't you have coffee in there?", he asked.

"No", she answered, "But we'll go get some after we eat. I'm going to get dressed. You stay here."

"Bossy", he coughed while she walked up the stairs.

Hermione pretended she hadn't heard him and went to the bathroom for a quick shower.

"You're not wearing that outside", Draco scowled as she walked down in her short strapless bright red summer dress and flip-flops. It wasn't something she'd normally wear, Ginny gave it to her for her birthday last year.

"Yes I am", she said firmly, "We're at the beach and there's a heatwave. It's only 10 a.m. and it's 25°C outside already. Besides, nobody knows me here. You're wearing this."

He plucked the clothing she threw at him out of the air.

"Now go take a shower, I'm leaving in 20 minutes, with or without you."

"No you're not!"

"Watch me. You've got 19 minutes left Love."

Draco grunted, but obeyed, muttering things about bossy witches under his breath.

In the bathroom he washed up quickly and put on the white shirt and beige pants Hermione had picked out for him. He was taking his sweet time, like hell that he would hurry for her! Okay, he did, but she didn't have to know that.

"Bye Draco!", she called from downstairs and he heard the door slam.

Muttering profanities he rushed down the stairs. When he arrived at the door and pulled it open, she was standing there, grinning up at him.

"Finally", she smiled, "Let's go! If we get up that big dune we'll be able to see which way the village is."

She took his hand and pulled him up the sandy hill before he could react. When she looked left, she could see some buildings, so that was the way to go. Enthusiastically she pulled him with her, heading for town.

When they arrived, Draco was sweating and red in the face. This absolutely wouldn't do for a Malfoy. He almost hated his fair skin tone and proper clothing right now.

Before they exited the dunes, he pulled his hand out of Hermione's and took out his wand.

"What are you doing?", she asked, frantically looking around if no-one was near.

Draco cast a spell on himself, feeling some relief instantly.

"Cooling and sunblock spell", he answered, "I don't look good in Gryffindor colours."

He felt like the king of the world when she giggled at his little joke.

"Okay", she smiled, "But no more magic until we leave town again."

"Yes Madam!"

Hermione rolled her eyes and stepped onto the street. It had a broad sidewalk for pedestrians on both sides, the street itself was occupied by a number of people on bikes and go-carts. The coastline was lined with apartment buildings with little shops and restaurants underneath and to her left she could see the beach and the sea.

"Let's go window shopping first", she decided, pulling Draco with her.

Curiously she looked at the menu suggestions in the restaurants and the goods on display.

They went into a few shops, but never bought anything. She figured they would return this way, so she wasn't planning on carrying a whole lot of stuff with her.

"Hermione", Draco said a little whiny after a few hours, "Can't we just get some supplies and go back to the house?"

"Not yet", she answered sternly. She stopped at a little tearoom and sniffed up the delicious smell coming out. "I'm a little hungry, let's get some to eat."

She pulled him along and sat at a little table. She looked at the menu, but it was all in Dutch and French. A young waiter came over and said something, but she had no clue what. To her surprise Draco answered the boy in perfect French and he nodded at him before walking away.

"I didn't know you spoke French!"

"I've got family ties in France, we visit them during the summer sometimes. Remember that summer fling I've told you about? Luckily the Belgian French isn't that different, Dutch would have been a lot more difficult."

"What did you order?"

"I've just asked him for whatever they recommend and something cold to drink."

The waiter returned and placed two light red glasses in front of them. Cautiously she took a sip, while Draco was still eying his drink distrustfully.

"Hmm...", Hermione sighed, "It's apple juice with cherries."

They enjoyed their drinks for a while, looking at the view and the people passing by. The waiter came by and placed their food on the table. Hermione's mouth watered and she didn't know where to start. They both had gotten a big Belgian waffle and there were different toppings, such as chocolate sauce (with real Belgian chocolate, what else), fresh strawberries, powdered sugar and whipped cream.

She couldn't choose, so she divided her waffle into pieces to be able to eat a little of everything. When they were finished she made Draco ask for the bill and payed with the muggle pay card Narcissa had provided.

They continued their way along the coastline until they reached the end of the village and hit another set of dunes.

"What's that?", Draco asked, looking curiously at the hall full of machines with flashing lights.

"A lunapark", Hermione told him, "It's full of machines with games you can play. We don't have time for this now, let's get some beachwear first."

She dragged him to a little clothing shop and made him try various swimming trunks and other things. Finally they settled on some plain dark green swimming trunks, blue plastic slippers, dark grey shorts, a few loose sleeveless shirts and two soft checkered shirts.

She took him to a small grocery store next. When they finally got back to the house Draco collapsed on the couch.

"Do you want to go back to the village for dinner or do you want to eat here?", Hermione asked him.

"Here...", he answered, "I'm not walking anywhere anymore today."

"I'll just make a quick salad then", she answered, "You go set the table."

He groaned, but after a stern look from her he dragged himself to his feet and got to work.