Chapter 36

Draco was bored out of his mind and so stressed at the same time. Every day he had to have breakfast with his parents, constantly on edge should The Dark Lord decide to join them. Then, he had to sit through meeting..., after meeting..., after freaking meeting discussing strategy, politics and warfare.

He wasn't allowed to join in on the conversation and they rarely discussed anything worth reporting back to his Order or Hermione. His Hermione? Hmm...

When his father called it a night, he was relieved. Finally he could go back to his quarters and the lovely witch in them.

"Draco...", his father called and Draco had to fight back a groan. "One moment please."

Lucius waited until the others had vacated the room and closed the door.

"Listen", he started, "I have been very busy lately, but that doesn't mean I forgot your birthday last month."

"I know Father", Draco answered, wondering where this was going. "You have more important things on your mind."

"Nonetheless, you are of age now", Lucius said waving his hand dismissively, "And to Malfoy tradition, I'll take you to the theatre."

"Eh...", Draco said unsurely, "Thank you Father."

"There's a play in two weeks", Lucius smirked, not fazed in the least by Draco's less than enthusiastic response. "You can bring your pet. I've taken the liberty to buy her an outfit."

Draco had to fight very hard to keep his surprise hidden. His father handed him a clothing bag and waved for him to leave.

He fought the urge to check the bag as he walked to his quarters.

*********** 

"Draco!", Hermione called as he entered the room, "Come, we have to go!"

"Go?", he asked dumbfounded. Sweet Salazar, this was the most confusing evening in years. He hung the clothing bag on the hat rack.

"Yes, your mother gave me a portkey."

"Mother? Portkey? What?"

"Come on", she said rolling her eyes,"I'll explain later."

She pushed a bracelet in his hand and he felt the telltale pull of a portkey, whisking them away.

"What the hell Hermione?", he yelled when he regained his footing. "What did you do?!"

"Don't yell at me!", she roared back, making him wince a little. He knew he had no right to yell, but she'd scared the hell out of him and the events confused him. He hated it when he wasn't in control of the situation.

With a huff she sat down on a floral wicker chair and motioned for him to do the same. He rolled his eyes, knowing that she wouldn't talk before he did as she asked and sat down.

Hermione's eyes narrowed as she saw him roll his eyes at her. He would pay for that... Later.

"Your mother visited me this afternoon", she started primly.

"How did she get in?"

"She said that keeping you safe surpassed your rule over the Manor."

She waited to see if Draco would pipe up again, but he just nodded and held his tongue. He knew better than to push her buttons now.

"Your parents are leaving on a mission for Voldemort. Your mother didn't want to leave you behind in the Manor alone, so she arranged for us to come here for a week."

"And where exactly is here?"

"She refused to tell, I only know it's a personal property of hers and that it's abroad."

"Well, I can't say I'm not happy to spend a week alone with you", Draco said smugly. He had always been quick to adapt a situation to his own benefit. "Let's find out where we are exactly."

He stood up and opened the beige curtains.

"Sand?", he asked crestfallen, "She sent us to the desert?"

"I don't think so", Hermione answered sceptically, "It's not that hot here."

She walked out and up a hill.

"Draco!", she squealed excitedly when she reached the top, "Come see!"

He hurried through the sand, curious about what she saw that made her so enthusiastic.

"We're in the dunes", she jumped, "There's the sea!"

"Oh, that's loads better than the desert", he grinned, "But what coast are we on?"

"I don't know", she frowned, "Let's go check out the house, there might be an indication in there."

When they entered the house again the fireplace lith up and spat out a small letter. Draco caught it and opened it while Hermione waited expectantly.

My son,

I hope the girl did as she was told and gave you the portkey. Your father and I are leaving on a mission for The Dark Lord and I wish for you to be safe. Please enjoy your stay in my personal beach house on the Belgian coast and don't return to the Manor before we're back, unless He calls for you personally. I'll send you a note when we've returned.

Always,

Mother

P.S.: Be careful if you leave the house, it is located in muggle territory.

"Sweet Salazar...", he sighed unbelievingly and handed the note to Hermione.

"Muggle territory?", she grinned, "No wonder no-one knows about this place. This is going to be fun."

"Fun?", he frowned.

"Yes", she said smugly, "You depend on your magic way too much."

"Oh really?", he asked, giving her a predatory smile. She felt a chill course up her spine.

He leaped for her, but she slipped through his fingers and ran out into the sand. He went after her and chased her around the house, laughing and shouting. Eventually she was no match for him and he tackled her to the ground, the sand softening her fall.

"Do you yield?", he panted, pinning her down in the warm sand.

"Never", she breathed and flipped them over.

"Woah", he gasped, "Where did you learn that?"

"Self-defence class, one of the few moves that I was good at."

"Reminder me never to anger you without a wand", he smirked and she bent down to kiss him.