16| Civil? Not Really.

S I X T E E N
Lawfully Dysfunctional

'Coffee?' A steaming cup was placed in front of me and I made a face as soon strong smell of it hit my nose.

'No thanks.' I politely declined. The dark pool of flavoured beans made into a liquid wasn't something that I ever craved.

'I didn't add anything in it, so you don't need to worry.' He raised his eyebrow.

'It's not that.' I smiled a cautious smile at Mr. Vanderbilt, still wondering about the sudden change in his mood. 'I don't like black coffee, or hot coffee for a matter of fact.'

'So sugared and creamed cold coffee is what you drink?' I nodded.

'I like black coffee.'

'That's because it's as dark as your soul.' He shot me an amused look and I bit my lip. He took a sip from the cup he had previously offered me and sat across the counter.

'We are apparently going to sit at home and do nothing today.' The room was startled out of silence as Delilah walked in looking like a zombie. I sniggered and she shot me a dirty look, probably offended that as a friend I had not kept my mouth shut. She redid her hair quickly and yawned.

'Who told you that?' I asked.

'My dearest brother.' She rolled her eyes. 'There aren't a lot of things around the place, it's good for a quick getaway but if you want some adventure you've got to find another spot.

'Why don't we go for another swim in the lake?' Dimwit suggested. 'We yet haven't gone.'

'Who's fault was that?' I scoffed, remembering them wanting to stay and watch the match inside. He shot me a glare and I smiled sweetly, crossing my ankles and leaning back into the chair.

'Another swim could be fun.' Delilah said after a thinking for a short while.

'I think I'll pass, the new episode of Supergirl is coming and I'd like to catch up on that.' I told them, getting up and walking towards the television room.

'Are you sure?'

'Positive.' They made their way up to go and inform Marc and shortly after left the house. I settled into the couch and tugged a soft blanket over my body to shield me from the centralised air conditioning.

Five hours later I peeled my eyes open and looked at green alien faces staring at me with wide unblinking eyes. I let out an inhumane scream, petrified of the abominations in front of me. Their hands were in the form of claws, each one a sharp pointy blade like like structure that made them remotely resemble Edward Scissorhand.

'Get away from me!' I screeched, picking up a six foot lamp with my hand and throwing it at the monster closest to me. My heart beat had sped up and I blindly slashed at everything in front of me.

I felt the hands clasp mine, the tears that were formerly occupying their position over my lower lip fell down in waterfalls. I whacked the green creature once more, scrambling off the seat and into the lap of another one who pet my hair strangely. A dark shape flashed from in front of my eyes and I gasped, shaking.

'Why must it always be me?' Dimwit groaned, the monsters had disappeared and all that was left playing was a random movie which I don't recollect ever putting in.

A dark reddish bruise was forming on the mentioned person's nose, who was starting to make a startling resemblance to Rudolf the red nosed reindeer.

'I'm running out of apologies to give.' I sheepishly confessed, still alert for alien attacks. The vivid dream had opened up my senses and even though I was being a little stupid, I was kind of still in my sleep.