21| Dimitri

TWENTY ONE
Lawfully Dysfunctional

D I M I T R I
I wasn't going to lie, she looked absolutely beautiful. There was a doe like innocent expression stuck on her face after I turned and found myself suffocatingly close to the woman who had made me almost pull my hair out in frustration, and that made me more satisfied than seeing her angry with steam bellowing out of her ears.

She raised her eyebrows and pushed me slightly away from her, and then herself moved away with a weirded out expression.

'Why,' she stressed, 'are you standing so close to me?' Maybe because I wanted to? Or maybe, just maybe because I didn't correctly estimate the distance between us.

'It was your fault, not mine.' I insisted, not going to allow a mannerless girl to blame me. With an ego higher than a kite, I could get pretty irritating to fight with, but it was one of the few things that I inherited from my father, his business and techniques being another thing.

'I didn't move from my spot, I simply turned. So tell me Mr. Vanderbilt, how can it be my fault?' She demanded.

'Why are you arguing over such a silly thing and wasting time anyways?' I huffed.

'I'm not, I only asked a question. But you are clearly at fault since you don't want to answer.' Then under her breath she muttered. 'Idiot.'

'And I replied with the correct answer, stupid woman.' I shrugged.

'How dare you call me stupid!'

'You called me an idiot first.' I argued and then paused. I sounded like a middle school child, this is what Freya Palmer did to me and I would be damned if I let her continue ruining my behaviour. I would have to stop bumping into her.

But you like these encounters, don't you? The thought popped up in my mind.

No, no! Ofcourse not. I disliked her with a passion that is unrivalled, she mistook me for a waiter for gods sake.

But that was a pretty funny incident which I had laughed about with my colleagues for a long time after, I even ended up closing one of my business deals with a long time pursuit.

'I did not.' She stuck her nose up in the air, and I was tempted to hold it and twist it as I would have if she had been my naughty five year old nephew.

I internally rolled my eyes, but maintained my stoic glare on the outside. I got into my car and drived off, once again leaving her standing outside with her mouth gaping. I rather liked it this way, it seemed like she was waving me off, a desperate last farewell before we met months later. But that wasn't the scene in reality, she, a twenty three year old woman living with her parents was forced to leave the guest till his car.

My phone rang and I immediately picked it up, putting it on speaker so that I wasn't pulled over by any stray cops standing around the corner.

'Yes?' I asked, there was heavy breathing on the other side, so I easily guessed who it was. 'Damien, what do you need?'

'Uhm, I- I want ice cream.' His innocent voice finally came through.

'Have you brushed your teeth?'

'Yes?' He wasn't sure what the right answer was, I knew that all he really wanted was the ice cream but he was a good boy who rarely ever lied.

'Then you know that you can't eat it tonight.' I smiled.

'Please?' He begged. 'I will brush again.' I could see my screen glowing with another incoming call, and since it was from my secretary I knew that it might be important so I hurried the call with Damien.

'Okay, I'll get some on my way home.' I told him.

'Thank you daddy!' I imagined the cheery smile on his face as he said that and chuckled at his enthusiasm. I cut the call and picked up the second one.

'Sir?' Chris asked me immediately and I replied positively. 'Elise Payton called, she told me to tell you to "play fair" and remove the spy from her company.'

I laughed, it was pretty funny. Elise, Louis and even little Miss Freya were convinced that I knew who the mole working in their company was and that he was one of my men, but what they didn't know was that I was trying to find the very same man. Elise and I may have had a bad fall out regarding the future of our respective companies, but she would always be my best friend, whether she agreed to it or not.

I missed her, I missed her smile, I missed her nervous laughs and I missed those useless rants that although wasted precious time, they were also extremely entertaining. And maybe that's the reason I found myself getting attached to Freya, who was so similar to the pre-work Elise that it made me feel like I had my friend back. Although a more irritating, more easier to murder version of her.

'Give her the same cryptic answer as always Chris.' I instructed him.

'I don't understand why you don't tell her that's it's not you, Sir.' He asked me for the millionth time and I have him the same old answer.

'She isn't going to believe me.' I scrunched my eyebrows. And this also keeps giving me a reason to talk to her, I thought. 'Is that all?'

'Yes, Sir. Good night.'

I turned the phone around in my hand thoughtfully, and pressed the accelerator so that I could meet up with my son, my very important dinner date who I could never cancel on. I barely saw him during the day and he had insisted that night time is his time with me.

________•________

Are y'all shocked? Dearest Dimwit as a father!
+he and Elise Payton were very close friends once upon a time ;)
Your thoughts?