17| Accusations

S E V E N T E E N
Lawfully Dysfunctional

'You look tired.' My best friend informed a grumpy Mr. Vanderbilt the first thing in the morning and was surprised to see him glare at her. Like I had mentioned before, those were reserved only for a few people and I was one of them.

'Did you sleep alright mate? I could hear a few sounds coming from upstairs late at night when I woke up to fetch a bottle of water.' Marc slid into the seat from across him, while I smugly continued to cook.

'I'm fine, but I don't think I can drive.' He yawned, covering his mouth.

'I don't mind.' Deli said excitedly, wanting to get her hands on the steering wheel of the sturdy car.

'No, I think Marc can drive.' Mr. Vanderbilt refused.

'Then I call shot gun!' She raised her arms.

'Okay.' He agreed before freezing quite comically. 'But where will she sit?' He jerked his head in my direction.

'Beside you?' She gave him a look thy said why-are-you-acting-stupid, but I wouldn't want to deal with the man involved in that particular competition so I put my foot down, literally, by jumping off the counter and saying a simple, overused 'No.'

'How about I drive?' I offered, and I saw Dimwits face clench in obvious discomfort.

'I don't want a crashed car, insurance doesn't cover buffoons driving.'

'Did you just call me a buffoon?' I gasped.

'I did, so what?' He bit back. Marc banged the table with his hands to catch our attentions and told Dimwit that since no one was coming to a decision, it would be wiser for me to drive as I was a much better driver than Deli.

As soon as I sat into the car and closed the door I heard the first complain.

'Close the door lightly.'

'I did.' I relplied with narrowed eyes. He refused to accept that the force I used was my norm and at every turn the car took I was met with a carrying variety of criticism that I tried to ignore. Note the word tried.

The first hour into the journey and I was ready to pull my ears off. I was sure that the only reason that he sat behind was because he wanted to try and rest, but he didn't seem to be doing that at all. While Marc and Delilah chatted up or did their own things with their gadgets, I pinched the bridge of my nose in an effort to calm me down, it always seemed to work in movies at least.

'You don't seem to be sleeping, so drive.' I parked the car at the side of the highway and got off the drivers seat, walking over to the back of the other side. I opened the door and held it open for hin, gesturing to him to climb out.

'For the first time you said something that makes sense.'

'I can't help it if you don't understand basic English.' He scowled and put the gear into place as the car roared forward. Men had a way of driving that was hazardous to everyone on the road, but then again, I'm sure they said the same for women.

The car sailed smoothly, the wind was hitting my sleepy face, but the intensity wasn't harsh enough to wake me up.

The stares I received when I walked into Elise Payton's office the first thing in the morning could rival Mr. Vanderbilt's sullen ones. She looked a little frustrated and the secretary next to her gave me murderous glares, as if she would like nothing better than having me slaughtered at that very moment.

'Good morning, Miss Peyton, is everything alright?' I asked confused.

'Why don't you tell me?'

'I'm fine but-'

'You commited treason against this company that was kind enough to offer you the position of an intern, how dare you tell Mr. Dimitri Vanderbilt the companies matters?' The secretary cut me off.

'I did no such thing!' I defended myself. 'I didn't even know Mr. Vanderbilt till last month.'

'That's plenty of time for you to entangle in his treacherous plans, and you were also sighted at his party.' She smirked an evil one.

'Yes, the party where I made a fool of myself, even if hypothetically I did be on his side, that man hates me.'

'A perfect cover. The mole no one would guess, but you had a flaw in your plan.' The secretary continued her unverified accusations.

'What plans? You're accusing me of something I've never even done!' I turned towards Miss Peyton who seemed more sensible. 'You cannot be believing all that Ma'am, I dislike him as much as you do.'

Her cold hard gaze made me flinch, it was sharp and unnerving.

'Well, I had called you to ask you how was your internship going on, my secretary seemed to have a different situation in mind. Please, excuse her.' I could swear that she trusted me as much as her secretary did, but I kept quite and shuffled off.

Entangling with anything related to Dimwit often put in trouble and I hoped that this suspicion would lead to a legal case, because as much as I knew I would have emotional support from a lot of sources, so my fingers automatically typed out a message to Marc asking for his number.

The "sure" and winking face that accompanied the number made me roll my eyes and type back an angry explanation about the requirement. I was about to call his number and ask him what was going on, but that was only till my brain started to operate and I realised that it wasn't a smart thing making that call when I was still in company premises, or for a matter of fact even with my phone.

All I could do was wait.

____________

Dedicated to @saynomore- for the cool fan cover above :)

So finally! There is more drama unfolding *Smiles creepily*

Look out for updates of Lawfully Dysfunctional every FRIDAY, only for you by your favourite(ignore that) JoEe!

READ
VOTE
COMMENT