20| Friends Close, Enemies Closer

T W E N T Y
Lawfully Dysfunctional

'Freya, open the goddamn door, my hands are full!' I heard my mothers loud voice till the second floor almost as soon as the bell rang for the third time.

'No they aren't.' I yelled, well aware that it was time for the Desperate Housewives rerun, so there wasn't a chance that she was busy, but instead of getting shouted at(even though work had drained me and I was dead tired), I decided to get up and open the door for my dear friend Deilah who had the worst timings.

I trudged slowly down the staircase, taking one step at a time, and pretending that I was a princess floating down the staircase. Who cared how old I was, it was never too late to dream. But Deli apparently wasn't having any of it, she rang the bell twice again and my mothers voice was an angrier bellow this time.

'I'm going, I'm going!' I ran the rest of the way(that was three steps away) and opened the door tired, but the person's face who came into view wasn't an invited one.

'What are you doing here?' I asked him, closing the door a little angling my barely clad body behind it in a manner that would cover it. He rose an eyebrow, whether at my attire or question, I didn't know. But the smirk forming on his face was giving me a fair idea.

'I've been sent here by Delilah since I was coming this way and delivering your sweatshirt to you didn't seem that big of a task.' He said, handing me a bag that had a very new, very branded item of clothing that was definitely not mine.

Delilah better not be playing matchmaker, because even cupids arrow itself wouldn't make me fall for a man like Dimwit. I took the bag hesitantly, and immediately started to close the door while he stood there expectantly.

He cleared his throat once, giving me a pointed look.

'I think you're forgetting something.' He smiled rather brightly, another thing I wasn't used to seeing.

'I don't think so?' I didn't particularly feel like giving him a tip, and a thank you wasn't even up for question.

'Your manners Freya, you owe me a thank you.' I shrugged.

'If this,' I held up the bag, 'belonged to me I would, but it doesn't, so goodbye.'

He lodged his feet between the door and the frame, and that didn't allow any movement, but the wince I caught after I snubbed his toe was satisfactory.

'Who is it Freya?' My mother walked out, with the remote still clutched firmly in her grasp. 'We have a guest!'

'Hello Ma'am. My name is Dimitri Vanderbilt.'

'Viola Palmer.' My mother smiled, tapping my head with a remote. 'This girls mother. How do you know my daughter?'

'We have mutual friends Ma'am, the Littons?' Dimwit answered.

'Ah yes.' My mother sighed. 'So you're the family friend of the only family that's friends with Freya.'

'Mum!' I whined, moving away from the door and I made sure to send her my most icy glare.

'I'm simply stating a face Frey, now don't interrupt.'

'I do have other friends.' I informed them.

'So you claim, but I've never seen proof of their existence.' She shrugged. I could see an amused smile pull across Dimitri Vanderbilt's face that truly made me uncomfortable, he wasn't allowed to drop in at my house, not at my expense. 'Please come in, it's not right to keep a guest standing on the door.' She ushered him in.

I stomped up to my room to change into something more covered and quickly made my way back to the unwanted "guest", I didn't want my mother spewing any nonsense about me while I spent my sweet time alone, oblivious to their threatening conversations.

'Sweetheart, make some warm tea.' I rolled my eyes at her sugary tone and ignoring her polite demand, I sat down opposite to her and beside him.

'I'm sure he has places to go.' He seemed to be enjoyed making things inconvenient for me. I could have easily finished those last hundred pages of my book.

'I do, but I can spare a few minutes.' He shrugged.

'Wonderful! Freya, tea now.'

'It's eight o'clock, dinner time. No one drinks tea at this time.' I rolled my eyes, picking up the remote and flicking through channels.

'Then you'll dine with us?' She asked Dimitri.

'Oh no Ma'am, I have to meet a very important client tonight.' My mother frowned, not liking the fact that the stranger couldn't be free for her entertainment. She was a weird woman.

'You can't go from her without eating anything.' She stressed, finding it a completely unthinkable idea. 'I believe someone leaving your house with an empty stomach is bad luck.'

'Ma'am-' he started to say but I cut him off.

'Oh, do sit here Mr. Vanderbilt. My mother is very firm in her beliefs.' He eyed my sweet smile with a dumbfounded expression. Him eating at my house had two wonderful purposes, one, it would make him late to wherever he had to go and two, it would make my mother happy.

'I'll come back some other day for your delicious food Mr. Palmer, I've heard wonderful things about it from the Litton siblings.' He gave an apologetic smile. I crossed my arms and raised my eyebrows at his subdued behaviour which wasn't usually the case when I was around. Viola Palmer nodded, finally agreeing and urging him to keep his promise because apparently she doesn't 'meet a lot of my friends.' As if he could be called that.

That wasn't the end of it though, I was forced to drop him till his car which made me grumpier than before.

'I hope you were joking when you told my mother you would be back bec-' I stammered the last word as I forgot what I had to say, because for some reason I found my face incredibly close to Dimwit's, his hot breath was blowing on my face and my heart was beating at an unnatural speed that forced me to inhale deeply.

________*________

Your reads, votes and comments make me guilty, enjoy.