Chapter 1

Flora's POV
I sat in the back of my social workers car, looking out of the window- watching the tiny droplets of water slide down the sleek, glass sheet. Throughout the car, the sound of the rain echoed- as if little fingers were tapping along the sides of the vehicle whilst we drove to our destination, another care home.
Slumping back in my seat, I remembered the day 9 years ago when I arrived at my first ever 'care' home. I use the word 'care' lightly, they never did. They just had too keep us alive, they kept us nourished and then released us to the demons of the world- not a word of encouragement.

☆Flashback☆

A tall man walked up to me, his face carrying a cold, hard expression. He stared me down and then shouted out for a girl ,called Sophie, to come downstairs.
" This is Burnywood. Enjoy your stay, or don't. Not my problem."
I took a step backwards just as the door opened and a girl whom looked about 11 years old walked in.
"What?" She snapped.
"Don't you use that tone of voice with me young lady" the man warned, "now show..."
"Flora, sir"
"Show Flora to her room. Now!" He shouted, before resuming at his seat near his dusty, wooden desk.
The girl, I assumed to be Sophie, led me up a long flight of stairs before stopping in front of a group of about four older children. They looked at me, expressions of pure anger and hatred plastered on their faces- before stepping forwards.
I gulped.
"H,h,hello" I spluttered.
"Oh, what do we have here? A newbie? Even better, one who doesn't have the ability to talk properly. I think it's time we teach her something, what do you think guys?" One asked with a smirk. Followed by an abundance of varied laughs and answers. The biggest member took a large step towards me.
"She needs to learn that we are in charge" and with that punches were thrown, kicks aimed, almost every part of my body gained bruises and I was scared out of my wits.

☆End of Flashback☆
I finally plucked up the courage and told my social worker, Mya, the reason why I kept getting in fights- about my past times in care homes. But apparently this new place is going to be different, she told me that she was moving me to a home called 'Elmtree House' and that it is one of the nicest places in the area, full of lovely children- I hope so!
The car gradually began to come to a stop and finally halted in front of a large house, it was stunning. If the inside was anything like the outside- I'm sure I'd love it here. We got out of the car and Mya helped me collect my belongings from the back, the rain had stopped so we didn't have to worry about getting wet. As we neared the door, my stomach started to do flips, what if they don't like me? What if they bully me? All these thoughts swirled around my mind, like miniature ripples in the lake of my brain. Pushing this thoughts aside, I stepped forward and knocked on the door.